Wine about to blow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikkibird

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm very new to brewing wine and after setting up my fermenter and adding the cylindrical airlock today, it looks like the lid is about to blow off the fermenter but there are no bubbles in my airlock. I've relieved the pressure by easing up the lid and removed the whole thing into the garage incase it does explode. I only made it around 6 hrs ago. I have it sitting in a water bath at 25degrees as I'm in Ireland and although it's summer it's only 12 degrees outside. Any advice would be most welcome.

Hi Vikkibird, and welcome. My strong suggestion is that if you are making wine that you remove the lid from the primary fermenter and simply loosely cover it either with the lid or better, with a clean towel or dishcloth. The only reason to cover wine while the gravity is above about 1.005 is to keep out bugs, dirt, pets and children. Wine ain't beer and yeast really needs oxygen. As long as the wine is producing CO2 (and half the weight - half the weight - of the sugar will be converted into CO2: that is a great deal of CO2) then you need have no fear of contamination. What you want to do is stir the wine (with a sanitized rod or spoon) a couple of times a day, so sealing the lid and banging home an airlock is contra-indicated as the doctor might say. When the gravity falls close to 1.005 and you rack from the primary to a secondary fermenter that is when you bung up the vessel and hammer home a bubbler or airlock.

Thanks Bernardsmith! The wine has turned out perfectly and I'm about to bottle it today. Planning on throwing a party to share my expertise[emoji23][emoji23]

It's a 7 day wine making kit from youngs. Didn't want anything too technical for my first try.

Latest posts

Back