Is this just residue..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victus

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that. You didn't top up after degassing? Normally you would top up, and let it sit until it's clear and ready to bottle.

I'm concerned that not topping up after degassing allowed oxygen loving bacteria/mold/yeast to take hold, but I can't say for sure that is what happened.

Yeah I usually leave that much when I rack into my 6. Ive done about 8 batches so far and Ive never seen this, but I also used a new degassing wand and that thing created the cyclone / froth hole like ive never seen.

Yeah I usually leave that much when I rack into my 6. Ive done about 8 batches so far and Ive never seen this, but I also used a new degassing wand and that thing created the cyclone / froth hole like ive never seen.

Weird. I think all of the kits I've ever done have you top up after degassing. I've never seen kits where you wouldn't, and that is a risk for sure.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I didnt want to add too much water and ruin the kit.
All I can think of is that its just bubble marks on the glass maybe.

I'll have to keep that in mind. I didnt want to add too much water and ruin the kit.

The kits I've bought all make 6 gallons, and instruct you to fill up the 6 gallon carboy after degassing and fining. I've never seen one that didn't. If the directions are followed by topping up, it doesn't ruin the kit- it's supposed to be topped up.

If yours are different, you should follow those instructions, as the manufacturer only warranties the kit if their own instructions are followed.

I'm dumb and it definitely says that, though the ones I've done all have the secondary juice pack and it just says top up with that.
I'm going to have to watch that in the future. Thank you for your quick responses and help.
I hope I didnt bugger this one, my wife will beat me, haha.

(I'm laughing in fear…)

I'm dumb and it definitely says that, though the ones I've done all have the secondary juice pack and it just says top up with that.
I'm going to have to watch that in the future. Thank you for your quick responses and help.
I hope I didnt bugger this one, my wife will beat me, haha.

(I'm laughing in fear…)

I assume you added the k-meta and sorbate at degassing?

What I would probably do now is top up with a commercial wine of a similar type, and watch it. I'd definitely consider using more k-meta as well. Let it sit about 30 days, topped up and in a cool dark place, and see if it reforms. If it does, then maybe not bottle (as you don't want the corks to pop). If it doesn't, then it would be safe to bottle.

The kicker, its a limited edition. Last one available from them where I live.
Would racking, adding k-meta and topping up with water be all right?
Yes it was all added, I followed everything to the letter, except for the full top up part.
How cool should it be, I have a fermentatiob chamber that I can control the temp on.

The kicker, its a limited edition. Last one available from them where I live.
Would racking, adding k-meta and topping up with water be all right?
Yes it was all added, I followed everything to the letter, except for the full top up part.
How cool should it be, I have a fermentatiob chamber that I can control the temp on.

Yes, but I'd rather top up with a good quality similar wine, rather than water, at this point to ensure a high enough ABV % to maybe ward off whatever is going on in there.

I'd keep it at 62-65 if possible, but that's not critical. You could cold stabilize it, but then I would worry that once it warms up to cellar temps that whatever may be in there could take hold.

I'd use 1/4 teaspoon of k-meta (or 6 crushed campden tablets), dissolved in a little of the top up wine and watch it.

I second the bubble marks on the glass. In the second pitchure you can see the bubbles. I had a rasberry wine that I was trying to ferment untill the yeast died, no matter how high I got over the abv tolerence of the yeast it just kept fermenting. It would leave those marks on the carboy top. I did not top if off because I did not want a volcano. I had to use the brush to get the bubble residue off the carboy. Simple water did not do it. They were stuck on good!
By the way, the yeast won. Guess I will have to add sorbate and campton if I want this wine sweet! 15%abv is plenty high! It can age a bit longer...

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back