Made Starter - No Activity Ring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokolosh

Reaction score
So I just made a starter yesterday with some washed pacman yeast... It's a 2 liter starter and I put a LOT of yeast in there to begin with. 24 hours later no little krausen ring to let me know the yeast are ready to go.

Should I be worried about this?

There are lots of little bubbles so something is going on, but I just want to be sure before I pitch all that into my wort.

Of over a dozen starters with tubes, smakc packs or bottle harvesting, I have ever only seen one Krauzen of "activity ring"

Just like in the fermenter, fermentation isn't always dynamic...It doesn't matter one blip in your fermenter or your starter flask if the airlock bubbles or not, or if you see a krauzen.

All that really matters is that creamy band o yeast at the bottom.

rsz_yeast_starter_chilled_001.jpg

If you wanna read my take on how I think the idea of "bad yeast" is really a rarity and we need to relax more and learn to trust them, look here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1513865-post10.html

Latest posts

Back