Using Windsor yeast for a pale ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
I happen to have a few packets of Windsor yeast that I picked up at my LHBS. I didn't really know what style it was intended for at the time, I just figured it would be good to have some on hand. I have been using liquid yeast. The Windsor yeast is supposedly for English Ales."Danstar Windsor ale yeast originates in England. This yeast produces a beer which is estery to both palate and nose with a slight fresh yeasty flavor. These are usually described as full-bodied, fruity English ales. Depending on the substrate, the Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity."
Anyways, I'm really wanting to get a batch of pale ale going but I'm not sure if I want to use this yeast or not. I currently have an ESB in the secondary so I don't really want another English bitter. Maybe a hopped up English Pale Ale?

What type of Pale ale? American style i assume since you said hopped up. It will work and prob be a good beer, but if it were me i would try and find some more yeast. Perhaps a local member can help you out.

Windsor isn't very flocculent and is somewhat banana fruity (less so cooler).

So for darker, bready english ales brewed nearer the cool end of the temp range it is fine but you will have yeast in suspension (thus the bready taste).

I believe Windsor is pretty close to Safale S04 in that it's not as attenuative as Nottingham or US05. It's probably going to finish a little higher than you'd normally like in a pale so I'd def overhop it a bit and or pitch two packs.

i used the windsor yeast on the hause pale ale and it tasted amazing and cleared up nice only prob is it took longer to ferment then nottingham and safale, i think with the windsor yeast it took about 3 weeks to ferment out as opposed to 2weeks with the safale or nottingham.

I just tasted the best bitter I brewed on Sunday and I def don't get bananas but I did ferment at 67-68F solid. It went from 1.043 to 1.013 in 72 hours which is not so bad but I did pitch two packs of Windsor and one S-04 into 11 gallons because the Windsors were out of date.

Back