Kolsch yeast...slow starter?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brackbrew

Reaction score
I made a starter last night for an alt that I'm brewing (today!) and used White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch yeast. When I just checked it, there was zero activity in the airlock (in fact, there was more water in the bubble on the down tube side). It looked like most of the yeast had settled to the bottom, so I swirled it around and now there's some SLOW activity coming out of it.

I've never used this strain before (nor have I ever brewed an alt before). Is it just a slow starter, or do I have some dead yeast.

Help! I need to know if I should still try and brew this today!

How big was your starter? White Labs gives you a large amount of yeast compared to Wyeast. Last time I made a pint starter, it was finished with it by the time I got up the next morning. When I stepped it up it took off.

My last Kolsch to 36 hours to show signs of airlock activity, but I did not make a starter with it.

How much yeast is showing at the bottom?

i've used that yeast twice, and both times it took the yeast 24-36 hours to decide to start moving. it multiplied and settled on the bottom, then slowly started to swirl and rise in the carboy.

I used about a cup and a half of amber DME in 1600 mL of water. It actually just started to bubble. I still can't tell what the h#$@ is going on! Should I use this or not?

brackbrew said:
I used about a cup and a half of amber DME in 1600 mL of water. It actually just started to bubble. I still can't tell what the h#$@ is going on! Should I use this or not?

When are you going to brew? It will probably be ready to pitch when you are done.

Never used WL kolsch yeast. I've used Wyeast Kolsch a couple of times it makes really messy ferments, but I've never noticed that it was slow. I really like the results I've gotten.

I've got my first batch using WLP029 in the primary now. I didn't use a starter and it was a slow start, but not too bad. About 30 hours until the airlock started bubbling, which seems reasonable for this yeast. The yeast was very fresh -- well before the best-before date.

The guy at my LHBS insisted that I didn't need a starter, he just suggested giving the carboy a good shake every few hours until fermentation started. This seems to have kept the yeast from caking on the bottom too much & helped with aeration. Things are pretty active now (24 hours after fermentation began).

EDIT: also, he suggested to keep the temp 70-75 degF until fermentation begins, then let it drop to high-60s.

I made a starter Sunday using the same yeast. Left it out at room temp for all that day and checked it the next afternoon after work and it was done. I'm going to step it up tonight so it's ready for this Sunday at bird's. It is slow and sticks like hell(sulfer) but I've had great luck the times I've used it before.

I made a 24 hour starter on Sunday, pitched it Monday night and on Tuesday morning it was going strong.

Might help that my house is getting up to 78-80F... but I do have it in a tub of water to cool it down.

Back