First time bottling, one broken, two dumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilot210

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch today, a porter kit from the LHBS. Looks nice, and tastes good too, even un-carbed. I did break one bottle with the capper, and dumped two that were in the sink waiting to be capped. I really don't believe any glass got in them, but better to be safe. Lesson learned on the broken bottle.. don't rush, and make sure the capper is on straight! Batch number two next weekend...

Congrats, and first time bottling experiences are always interesting. Cheers to your enjoying your first batch when it's ready.

No worries on the broken bottle. We all have dumb s*#@ happen to us and we all learn. Now you know what not to do next time. One thing I have learned in my short time is, Patience. The more you rush around and make sure you are doing everything ok, the more likly you will make a mistake. Remember our ancient ancestors did this all out in the open and with no sanitizers. Don't rush, an extra few min. will not make the beer go bad.

Back