What effects will high OG have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snail

Reaction score
Today I brewed an Octoberfest using DeathBrewer's Partial Mash tutorial. I made the recipe from Brewmaster Warehouse's recipe builder and everything was to style. The OG was supposed to be between 1.050-1.057. When I took the hydrometer reading it was at 1.066. I made sure when I topped off with water I mixed the hell out of it. So I know it was mixed good enough. What should I expect from this? Will the beer just end up having more alcohol?

That is a fairly big jump. The balance might be off. Depending on the IBU level you might end up with a balanced beer but who knows.

Best thing is to let it ride and see how it tastes.

Does that mean I got a way higher efficiency than expected?

how much was extract and how much was grain? In theory you could have gotten more eff. from the grain portion of the PM. That is still a big bump, though.

Hmm, plugging those into the brewing software gives me an og of 1.062, but i don't know you volumes. What was the efficiency of the recipe? I think you probably got more sugars out of the gain, but it could also be that you didn't top up with enough water or something like that, but i don't have an exact answer.

The beer will be fine, maybe just more alcohol. Did you hit your mash temp?

Yeah everything went awesome. I think this was the best brew day I've ever had. I hit the mash temp and it stayed at that temp the entire time. I just got a new brew pot for my bday and I love it! The efficiency for this was 75%

Your beer should be fine, just a little heavier on the body then the original. With the style, you probably won't notice it much. I've brewed Oktoberfests from 1.045 to 1.065 over the years and they all have about the same flavor, just some are heavier.

I think the biggest difference will be how far it attenuates. If it gets down to a nice 1.015-1012 somewhere, it will be a good beer. If it finishes above that it may be a bit heavy (but still good beer.)

Cheers

~r~

The gravity reading went down to 1.016 for the last couple day's readings. I think I'm going to bottle this weekend. I'm kind of worried about bottling as my last three batches have been gushers. I think it's because of an infection after bottling. I might not be sanitizing good enough. The beer tastes really good before bottling but after a couple weeks it gets really carbed and tastes like crap.

According to the tastybrew.com priming calculator, for a Marzen, bottling 5.4gal(guessing .1 lost from racking to bottling bucket), fermented at an average of 72 degrees, I would need 5.3 ounces of corn sugar.

I'm pretty sure in the last three batches I didn't over prime them. I'm just a little worried this batch will turn out the same. Does 5.3 ounces of sugar sound right? Do the bottle gushers sound like an infection after bottling?

Back