Did I ferment to long? Is there a way to fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkyhound

Reaction score
Hi! I bought a MrBeer brewing ket that came with the Canadian draft kit. I brewed it about a month ago and just bottled it. It was a bright gold color and looked normal and smelled like normal beer. I thought i'd try the leftovers because there was quite a lot left. I tried it and immediatley spit it out. It was horrible! Up close, it smelled sorta cider-y. Did i ferment it too long? IF so, how do i fix it! I want it to come out good!

Just let the bottles sit for a few weeks or so at around 70- deg. then, put one in the fridge and try it a couple days later and then have an opinion. The beer will change and you probalby tried to drink some of the trub anyway.

Described like it was fermented too warm. Might end up ok, but give it some more time and try it when it's carbed up.

Also, if you tried the stuff that was at the bottom, it might have had a large amount of yeast, which can taste pretty nasty unless you live in australia, where they spread it on toast...

I thought marmite was a british thing...

The other day I was buying bread from a man in Brussels. He was six foot four and full of muscles. I said, do you speak-a my language? He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich. And he said, I come from a land down under. Where beer does flow and men chunder. Cant you hear, cant you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover.

Back to the original topic, don't worry about what the bottom of the Mr. Beer container tastes like. Wait until your bottles are ready and then see what kind of flavor you have.

If i'm reading correctly, he bottled most of it, then tried to drink the dregs left over.

I.E. he drank trub and yeast with little beer mixed in.

Don't do that. Its nasty.

To answer your question, many of us ferment for a month or more so no, you did not ferment too long.

Did you add sugar to your brew? Mr Beer calls for quite a lot of sugar added to your brew and in too high of quantity, it will cause a cidery taste. To fix the problem, use malt instead of sugar.

Welcome to HBT!

Back