Painting a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
Hello,
I did a search and found some limited info on painting a fridge exterior that already has trim on it, so I wanted to know from you all. Can I paint thisfridge?

I am just starting to get into DIY, so please be gentle :)

Will the wood trim give me problems with painting? Would I use a spray paint for metals?

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Is that simulated wood plastic? If so, i'd recommend plastic primer in a spray can first. I believe rustoleum made it. Finished with rustoleum 'hammered' for a nice texturized look.

Is that simulated wood plastic? If so, i'd recommend plastic primer in a spray can first. I believe rustoleum made it. Finished with rustoleum 'hammered' for a nice texturized look.

That is what it looks like to me. I have not seen the fridge in person yet, but I will today. I just wanted to get a good idea of my options for sprucing up the outside.

I like that idea, thanks.

Eric

The 'hammered' paint for a fermentation fridge is ironic. They also
don't recommend primer oddly enough.

Eric

I did mine with zero priming, just a good wipe down. It looks really nice when finsihed. A few notes:

- This is epoxy and comes off nothing.
- Use a thick coat if you want it to shine. Otherwise it has a splotchy matted look from an angle.
- Mask off anything in the area you don't want the paint on....including yourself!

You know, when wood paneling on appliances ever comes back into style you'll be kicking yourself in the butt for painting it.

depending on what the exterior is made of, you may want to give it a light sanding too.. then prime and paint as suggested.

Try cover stain by zinser if available in your area.Or any decent oil base primer.Try to go to a paint store,stay away from HD if you can.Final coat with a quality oil finish.

There is Appliance Epoxy Spray Paint that makes any fridge look like new.

Big question is: What is the fridge for? Won't work for kegerator or fermenting chamber. That hump and the freezer make either choice a no go.

Latest posts

Back