Gelatin for strawberry ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

By-Tor

Reaction score
Should I use gelatin when I transfer to secondary or does it effect the flavor. I don't care to much about haze, but I don't want red mud either.

don't worry about off-flavors with gelatin, think about plain Jello.... they don't make it.

How long are you aging in fermenter and/or aging vessel(2ndary)?

don't worry about off-flavors with gelatin, think about plain Jello.... they don't make it.

How long are you aging in fermenter and/or aging vessel(2ndary)?[/QUOTE

Just got it in to the primary,the recipe says to add gelatin to secondary and ferment 7 to 14 days. Should I?

It will help clear it and that’s about it. if you are going to bottle condition it I would advice against it. I believe it will take longer to carb up if you do. If not, go for it. There are a few threads about using gelatin, you should be able to get some with a quick search.

It will help clear it and that’s about it. if you are going to bottle condition it I would advice against it. I believe it will take longer to carb up if you do. If not, go for it. There are a few threads about using gelatin, you should be able to get some with a quick search.

So don't use gelatin if I am bottling?

Back