AG and Blow Offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IncredibleMulk

Reaction score
Just finished my 4th AG batch that was not BIAB and have done close to 100 partial and extract batches. I don't always do starters...but let the estimated OG determine whether or not I do one. Interestingly...I had never had a blowoff until I started doing AG batches. All four of my last brews have had serious blowoffs without using starters...just curious...anyone else experience this or is it just my overly excited batches?:rockin:

Each batch is different... I haven't had a single blowoff yet, AG or extract, liquid yeast with starter or dry yeast. Sounds like whatever you have been doing to your AG beers gets your yeast in party mode! :mug:

Any beer that has anything more than a pinch of wheat in the recipe seems to consistently cause a blow-off for me. As you may suspect, the dunkelweizen I am currently fermenting is trying to creep its way out of the fermenter.

I frequently have blow offs. Always all grain and starters probably 90% of the time. Some yeast is more aggressive than others. If you are using a carboy that has lots of head space you can avoid a lot of blowoffs. Unfortunately I prefer the plastic carboys which aren't made in sizes over 6 gallons. So putting about 5.25 gallons into one of those doesn't leave a lot of room for aggressive fermentation.

I require a blowoff tube about 80-90% of the time. If I do a starter it's nearly guaranteed to go over. I'm in the same boat with the 6 gallon plastic carboys.

I use to have about a 50% blowoff rate when I was doing extracts. Since switching to AG, I haven't had one. I always use a blowoff tube just in case too. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong to not get them. If I decide to just use an airlock on my next batch, it'll probably blow the lid right off the bucket.

Something else that's interesting with this batch in particular is that I split it into two different fermenters and pitched the exact same yeast strain (US-05). One blew off with a vengeance and the other was a very peaceful and easy ferm...crazy!

Latest posts

Back