My last two batches taste like.. banana?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red_Rock

Reaction score
Its been strange, and I'm sure I'm just not doing something I should be. I've now brewed two batches of beer myself, and my neighbor did one with me as well. H?is batch also came out banana-flavored. We're brewing Hef style beers, they shouldn't be banana-flavored.

Are there any seasoned vets that think we're missing something important? They're otherwise fine as far as carbonation and gravity is concerned.

A lot of Hef beers taste/smell like bananas. Comes from the yeast:

WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.
Attenuation: 72-76%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
(20-22°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium
Review this strain
Read other reviews for WLP300
Read FAQ for this yeast

WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

Actually banana and clove are characteristics of Hefeweizen and each can be controlled by the type of yeast and the fermentation temps.

Depending on the yeast, higher germ temps bring out the banana and lower the clove

At what temp was your fermenter at? What yeast did you use?

We're brewing Hef style beers, they shouldn't be banana-flavored.

Yeah, not sure where you got this idea. As others have pointed out if you're using german wheat yeast this is most certainly the reason. From the BJCP guidelines for German Weizen/Weissbier:

Aroma: Moderate to strong phenols (usually clove) and fruity esters (usually banana).
Flavor: Low to moderately strong banana and clove flavor.

If you're shooting for an American style wheat I'd recommend something like wyeast 1010 or one of the chico strains.

I asked almost this exact same question a couple months ago on my hefe, the banana flavors have mellowed out a lot since then. I got the same answers, lower fermentation temp and use a yeast strand with less banana characteristics, haven't been able to brew another batch yet but its on my list! Good luck :)

Yep. Hefe yeast makes banana flavors, especially at the upper end of the fermenation temperature range - this is completely normal.

it is the yeast. im planning on doing one this weekend and im praying that doesnt happen but i have never had banana flavored beer??? mmmm no doesnt sound good.

I've made that mistake before. Just don't add bananas after you rack to secondary, that should do it.

GENIUS. Okay. I wont do it next time.

Thank you to all the other helpful answers. I have a lot of ideas now. Back to the brewing board.

it is the yeast. im planning on doing one this weekend and im praying that doesnt happen but i have never had banana flavored beer??? mmmm no doesnt sound good.

Not banana flavored, just notes. To minimize, keep fermentation at the cool end of the yeast's temperature range. You'll get llittle to no banana (but you will get some clove).

Back