Demera Brown Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I just bought a kilo of Rogers Demera Brown Sugar, thinking it was regular Demera that is used in British beers. I found out after a bit of research that regular demera is actually a bit darker than regular refined, white sugar and coarser. The stuff I bought is darker than even dark brown sugar, very sticky with big yellow crystals sticking out, so it's not the same, at all.

The taste is sweet, with hints of molasses, burnt sugar and maple syrup. Anybody has brewed with this ? I'm pretty sure it's just an even darker brown sugar (more molasses added back in?) with some golden demera added in for the cunchiness.

Just to give you an idea of the color here's the Rogers page with a small picture. It looks like dark muscovado.

I might stick a bit of it in an Oatmeal stout, but could I risk it in bitters or would it be too much ?

I haven't used it, but I have used plenty of unrefined sugars. I think it could work in a bitter if you aren't worried about sticking too close to the style guidelines, but it would be better in something a bit darker, mild, drown, porter, stout etc...

Most of your sugars have a pretty high fermentability rate - would any of it even stick around to impart any flavor to the final brew? I realize some of the molasses might - but why not just use molasses?

Still kinda new to this - so feel free to correct me.

I have used Domino's Demerara in an ESB. I melted one pound in a few cups of hot water on the stove, and then added it to the kettle at the beginning of the boil in a 10 gallon batch. The crystals are light golden brown in color, similar in appearance to turbinado sugar. I think it helped to impart a slight unique sweetness to the final brew.

I haven't used it, but I have used plenty of unrefined sugars. I think it could work in a bitter if you aren't worried about sticking too close to the style guidelines, but it would be better in something a bit darker, mild, drown, porter, stout etc...

Thanks Oldsock. I will try using half a pound in the oatmeal stout I will be brewing Friday. I found a source for "sugar in the raw" made from cane sugar syrup which will be more to style in my bitters.

Latest posts

Back