Made an Error

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty1erC

Reaction score
So I just started homebrewing this summer, and my first batch of beer came out pretty well. On my second batch (an IPA), I accidentally used gelatin finings instead of gypsum in my boil water. I didn't realize the error until after the beer was put into the fermentor. Does anyone know what effect this will have on my finished product? I'm afraid it's going to ruin my yeast. Thanks for your input.

So I just started homebrewing this summer, and my first batch of beer came out pretty well. On my second batch (an IPA), I accidentally used gelatin finings instead of gypsum in my boil water. I didn't realize the error until after the beer was put into the fermentor. Does anyone know what effect this will have on my finished product? I'm afraid it's going to ruin my yeast. Thanks for your input.

It won't ruin the yeast. I'm not sure what will happen exactly- how much gelatin did you add? The worst case I can think of is that the jello will thicken the beer a bit. The best case would be that it'll just fall to the bottom with the trub.

The best case would be that it'll just fall to the bottom with the trub.
That'd be my guess as to what will happen. I doubt it would actually thicken the beer. Also don't know if the gelatin would still work after being boiled for that long. I'd assume there's been some denaturing of the gelatin proteins.

I used half a teaspoon. I'm going to hope for the best. I also added too many hops. The gelatin error was entirely mine, but I'm blaming the hop error on a poorly worded recipe. This beer was supposed to be similar to a Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, and the ingredients cost quite a bit. Disappointing. I'm just hoping it's drinkable.

Hmmm... my first batch came out good and it was also the second batch I ruined which also happened to be (or supposed to be) an IPA...

Back