American IPA Smaug's Gold White IPA. Best brew yet.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingTravisty

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days @ 62°
Tasting Notes
Slight notes of honey, and malted wheat. Finishes with a slight sweetness and hop bit
This is hands down the best brew I have made yet, beautiful head, great hoppy nose and the sweetness of the malts come through very well balanced with the hoppiness so nothing is over powering. Slight notes of honey come through on the back end, with an almost creamy mouth feel, ending with a nice bite from the hops to round it off. This will be added to my regular line up.

When I originally made this recipe it was meant for a 5 gallon batch, and between overshooting my efficiency by a ton and losing a gallon and not topping off my ABV was close to 7% abv rather than the 5.1 estimated.

If you want a high ABV beer that is ready quick and easy to drink then this one is for you, just adjust it accordingly. Very dangerous beer though, you can't taste the alcohol at all, it will sneak up on you.

5lbs Rahr red wheat malt
4lbs Breiss 2-row
1lb Honey Malt

Mash @ 155f for 60 minutes

2oz CTZ (1@30 0.5@15 and 0.5@ Flame out)
3oz Amarillo (Dry Hop 3 days)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Fermented at 62° for a week, bottled with 3.2 volumes of co2 and bottle conditioning only needed 1 week for me.

20151007_221644_HDR.jpg

photo_1444250572228.jpg

Last edited:
Looks grand! Interesting grain bill too. Much different than any of the Ipa I've made. Very cool.

Looks grand! Interesting grain bill too. Much different than any of the Ipa I've made. Very cool.

Thanks! I was going for more of a wheat ale/IPA hybrid. It turned out more towards the IPA side than I was aiming for but it turned out delicious.

I'll probably tweak the bittering hops a bit, to see how it turns out closer to the wheat ale side.

I'll probably tweak the bittering hops a bit, to see how it turns out closer to the wheat ale side.

Variety, amount, or time wise? Already skipped the 60 minute addition.

Did it clear Ok or did it stay cloudy? Are you cold conditioning any of the bottles? Curious what kind of diff you'd notice with some lagering. My IPAs are always best when they're almost gone...lol

I pretty much put them all in the fridge one I tasted one and it seemed ready. They're actually already half gone lol

And probably just cut the amount on the ctz, and they didn't clear very well at all. Looks are very much what you would expect from a wheat ale. I'm trying to hold onto a few to see how they do with a few weeks of age on them lol but that may be difficult.

Back