Westbrook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrell00

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with their IPA?

I have completed what I think is the malt bill, still a little fuzzy on the hops but really trying to determine the dry hop..

Anyone had it? If so, it seems to me that the aroma is distinct & I would love to duplicate it..

Have only done a couple of attempts at my own AG recipes so looking for some pointers from the collective experts here.

From their description. A great IPA in my opinion...

"6.8% ABV 65 IBU
A base of pale, Munich, and Carapils malts is just enough to contain the massive hop flavor and aroma packed into this highly drinkable IPA. A blend of four American hop varieties is added four times in the kettle and twice in the fermentor for a complex and layered hop experience. Best served at 45-50˚F in a tulip or English style pint glass."

Anyone familiar with their IPA?

I have completed what I think is the malt bill, still a little fuzzy on the hops but really trying to determine the dry hop..

Anyone had it? If so, it seems to me that the aroma is distinct & I would love to duplicate it..

Have only done a couple of attempts at my own AG recipes so looking for some pointers from the collective experts here.

From their description. A great IPA in my opinion...

"6.8% ABV 65 IBU
A base of pale, Munich, and Carapils malts is just enough to contain the massive hop flavor and aroma packed into this highly drinkable IPA. A blend of four American hop varieties is added four times in the kettle and twice in the fermentor for a complex and layered hop experience. Best served at 45-50˚F in a tulip or English style pint glass."

I just had it for the first time last night. I believe they use chinook for bittering, cascade and chinook for aroma, and I just read they used to use centennial for dry hope, but recently they changed it to falconers flight. It's a fantastic IPA and I too was lookin to try and clone it. Good luck and be sure to give us an update on it. I'm very curious.

After speaking with the brewer, he tells me that Falconer's is no longer used. He did say that the dry hop consists of hops found in Falconer's though...

He wouldn't give me anymore specifics. I guess it is some combination of the 7 C's.

This comes from scaling a recipe from the side of their fermenter at their brewery. 1130 gallons down to 5. Such a large scale down in size & efficiency makes some of these conversions tough. The biggest variable to me is how Beersmith handles first wort hopping... The practical experience tells me that the FWH & 60 Min addition should probably .50 oz each. Anywho.

Yes. The 5 oz dry hop is correct per the conversion. Was actually closer to 6 oz.

WESTBROOK IPA

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.49 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.24 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

Date: 21 May 2014
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: 10.5 GALLON POT
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Taste Rating: 30.0
Mash @ 150 for 85 Min.

13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.2 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.1 %
6.4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.7 %

0.25 oz Chinook [13.70 %] - First Wort 20.0 min Hop 4 7.1 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 12.0 IBUs
0.40 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 5.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.2 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 6.4 IBUs
0.70 oz Chinook [13.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 14.8 IBUs
0.75 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 25.0 min Hop 10 4.8 IBUs
0.70 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 25.0 min Hop 11 9.8 IBUs

5.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -

5.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Oh snap! Great info!!

Maybe someone could degas a sample so we can get a FG? And knowing its 6.8% ABV we can figure out the OG to shoot for?

1.063. IMO

I have cultured yeast from their cans and it routinely tops out at 1.008-1.010. Assuming a dry mash of 149-150.

I think it is WLP007. Highly flocculant.

Did anyone ever brew this?

I did and despite the fact that it is scaled from their actual recipe - it didn't taste right at all...

I'm trying to determine if my scale was just off or if something else is at play.

What was off about it? Usually scaling works fine but maybe the hop additions were wrong?

Odd flavor that overpowered everything...

I can only attribute it to the chinook but that is just a guess. It wasn't off flavors.

I have brewed a 1 gal batch of the same recipe as posted. One with chinook & the other with centennial as a sub for the chinook additions.

Will taste side by side & see if the odd flavor goes away in the centennial batch.

I know it takes me away from the clone but will tell me if the chinook hopping is the culprit or not..

The yeast I am using was cultured from their cans so I know it isn't that. Was also fermented @ 68 degrees. Same temp they use & also mashed the same way.

If not the chinook - possibly the munich? I dunno.. Odd to say the least.

All of the other clones I do (Dale's Pale, SN Celebration & SN Pale Ale) all taste as very close approximations of the original.

I don't "think" it is my brewing. Hope not at least.

Here is the original, assume a 30 bbl boil, 75ish % eff.

85 minute mash @ 150 degrees, batch sparge.
Ferment @ 68. WLP007 (assumed). Their yeast can be cultured from their cans.

Pale 2 Row - 1915 lbs
Munich 10L - 220 lbs
CaraPils - 55 lbs.

Hopping -

1 lb Chinook (13.6% AA), 1 lb CTZ (13.70% AA) - FWH, 60 min - 4.2%
Cascade, 5 lbs, (5.9% AA) 30 min. - 10.4%
Chinook, 3 lbs, (13.6% AA) 30 min. - 6.3%
Cascade, 10 lbs (5.9% AA) 15 min. - 20.8%
Chinook, 9 lbs (13.6% AA) 15 min. - 18.8%
Cascade, 10 lbs (5.9% AA) Whirlpool, 25 min - 20.8%
Chinook, 9 lbs (13.6% AA) Whirlpool, 25 min - 18.8%

120 bbl fermenter

Dry Hop - Centennial (11% AA) - 132 lbs (7 Days)

Grain bill should scale fine. Keep in mind that their hop utilization will be higher with that big of a batch. Could it be not enough hops? I think 5oz is overkill for the dry hop. 2 to 3 should provide plenty of aroma. Or maybe do 2 additions of 2 oz each. I'll play with this in Beersmith and see what turns up. Looks like it would make a good ipa whether it's Westbrook or not.

cantrell00 sent me the pic of the recipe that he took. Here it is:

IMG_20140521_165536_530.jpg

Interested to hear how everyone would scale this down to 5, 6 or 10 gallons, whatever...

The CTZ, Chinook FWH are less than absolutely defined in my opinion.. They take some creative liberty from batch to batch. The most recent cans I had had a strong hint of Nelson Sauvin, also used in their One Claw..

30 bbl kettle is assumed. Dry hop is 120 bbl (30 bbl x 4 batches)

Grain bill should scale fine. Keep in mind that their hop utilization will be higher with that big of a batch. Could it be not enough hops? I think 5oz is overkill for the dry hop. 2 to 3 should provide plenty of aroma. Or maybe do 2 additions of 2 oz each. I'll play with this in Beersmith and see what turns up. Looks like it would make a good ipa whether it's Westbrook or not.

I agree.

Okay, here's what I've finally come up with:

12# 6oz pale malt
1.5# Munich 10L
6oz carapils

7g Chinook 13.6% - FWH
7g Columbus 13.7% - FWH
17g Cascade 5.9% - 30 min
10g Chinook - 30 min
34g Cascade - 15 min
31g Chinook - 15 min
34g Cascade - 0 min - steep 25 min.
31g Chinook - 0 min - steep 25 min.
84g Centennial - dry hop 7 days

Mash at 150 for 75 min.
Boil 60 min.
OG = 1.064
IBUs = 65

I'll probably use WY1056 for the yeast since I have a couple packets of it.

Cantrell00, do you know for sure that they use an English ale yeast?

According to Scott Koon when he was there, "use a high flocc english yeast" - so I just assume 007.

I cultured what I have used so far from their cans.

Scale looks good. I hope to brew it again soon.

I noticed that you interpreted the CTZ/Chinook to both be part of the FWH. I tend to agree in hindsight. I have never brewed it that way in the past though. Had always interpreted it to mean a chinook FWH & then an equal addition of CTZ for a 60 min boil.

Based on the results I have had, I tend to think that your interpretation is the correct one.

68 degree fermentation temp. FYI

Okay, cool. You're probably right on the 007. Crap, might need to pick up some Nottingham then, not easy to find white labs around here.

I assumed by their chart that the CTZ & Chinook were both FWH.

So what I did was found an online recipe calculator (non beer specific) that calculates weight percentages of ingredients. Then, following the hop percentages (not AA%) given in their recipe and entered the values that I thought would be close. And I left out the Chinook FWH since that was written in. Anyway, once I was happy with my percentages, I entered the amounts in Beersmith including the Chinook fwh this time. Then just scaled up the bitterness, which kept my percentages the same. Did everybody follow that? I think I just confused myself.

This will be my next batch, will let you know the results. I have a friend going to Greenville soon so I might even be able to do a side by side.

I wouldn't sweat the yeast too much...

1056/S05/001 would work just as well in my opinion.

Anything that ferments dry & clean.

Scott liked the 007 because the yeast falls out so well.

Finally getting to brew this today. Well, sort of. I'm subbing Columbus for most of the Chinook and subbing Apollo for the Chinook FWH and using WY1056. Hopefully it will still turn out somewhat similar. I got to enjoy quite a few of the original a month back when we went to the beach. So delicious! Anyway, I'll report back with results such as they will be. I'll get my hands on some Chinook at some point and brew the original with a British yeast as well but for now, this will have to do.

My clone was clone but by no means a clone of the actual beer.

All this despite having a scaled version of the actual recipe. It was still good.

Something gets lost in the translation it seems. I don't know.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: WESTBROOK
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.25 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 5.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 72.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.30 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
13 lbs 4.6 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.9 %
6.1 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.5 %
0.22 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.90 %] - First Wo Hop 4 7.6 IBUs
0.22 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 7.6 IBUs
0.54 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.2 IBUs
0.33 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 8.0 IBUs
1.07 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 9.3 IBUs
0.97 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 15.3 IBUs
1.07 oz Cascade [7.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 25.0 Hop 10 6.5 IBUs
0.97 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 25. Hop 11 10.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 12 -
4.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 2.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 18.96 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (0.83gal, 3.75gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
WHIRLPOOL FOR 25 MIN AT FLAME OUT. CHILLED FOR 25 MIN TO 68 DEGREES.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next up again.

Going with your scale hogwash. I think the late additions need to be larger than what I did the first time. Yours look better.

60 min will be the FWH only.

Mine turned out great. Of course, with the substitutions it wasn't a clone plus I didn't have the real thing to compare it with. But still, damn good beer. My buddy told me it was the best beer he's ever had but then he's not too hard to impress. Haha.

I'm going to brew again real soon with Chinook and a British yeast. Got a coworker heading to SC too so I'll get some of the real thing.

based most recent results of an IPA i just did, I'm gonna change the hopping additions to the following...

.25 oz of Chinook & Columbus @ FWH & at 60 minutes.

Gonna defer all other additions to flame out and whirlpool. 2.00 ounces of Chinook and 2.50 OZ OF cascade at each point.

3 oz centennial dry hop.

Same Malt bill.

Shoot for a OG of 1.065, FG of 1.010.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: WESTBROOK IPA 3RD ATTEMPT
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.90 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.58 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 92.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 7.9 %
10 lbs 2.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 80.7 %
1 lbs 2.3 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 9.1 %
4.6 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.3 %
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 11.4 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Hop 6 13.5 IBUs
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 10.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [15.50 %] - Hop 8 12.3 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 3.6 IBUs
2.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 Hop 11 16.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30. Hop 12 31.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) [35 Yeast 13 -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 9.4 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.74 qt of water at 158.4 F 148.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 10.07 qt of water at 205.8 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 2.96 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------
1 MINUTE ADDITION - FLAME OUT, RECIRCULATION FOR 30 MIN.

REHEAT KETTLE TO 180 & THEN ADD WHIRLPOOL HOPS FOR AN ADDITIONAL 30 MINUTE RECIRCULATION.

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'm doing a re-brew on it this week but this time I'm not subbing any hops, sticking to the original. And I'm using WY1098 for the yeast, supposed to be the same as the WL007.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. I'm doing a re-brew on it this week but this time I'm not subbing any hops, sticking to the original. And I'm using WY1098 for the yeast, supposed to be the same as the WL007.

I am too... It isn't the taste alone that I am trying to match this time. The last one was very close in that regard. I am shooting for the hop flavor intensity & aroma this time...

I'm also going to dry hop very quickly after fermentation into a keg. And get it on gas. Will probably leave the centennial dry hop in the keg as well.

Previous attempts were always bottled & I think a lot of the punch was lost.

Closest attempt yet. Well, based on the hydrometer sample.

The aroma (still have to dry hop) is definitely in the ball park.

1.068-1.016

Cool, I have yet to rebrew. Cold weather and illnesses have interfered. Hopefully this coming week. And I have the real thing in hand so I can compare. The One Claw is really good too!

Not fully carbed yet but my closest attempt. And really good.

I am really thinking that something went wrong when I bottled the batch prior to this one.

Can a beer bottle condition at too high of a temperature? Creating medicinal type off flavors?

Not fully carbed yet but my closest attempt. And really good.

I am really thinking that something went wrong when I bottled the batch prior to this one.

Can a beer bottle condition at too high of a temperature? Creating medicinal type off flavors?

I get that when my IPA is too fresh. I had one that tasted just like dish soap at first. After a few weeks in the bottle, it came around, though.

I get that when my IPA is too fresh. I had one that tasted just like dish soap at first. After a few weeks in the bottle, it came around, though.

Interesting... Mine never did.

Several bottles blew in the process. I don't know if it was too high of a temperature or too much sugar.

I hardly ever bottle so probably a combo of both.

Back