Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sourdough bread from Reinhart's book.
The single loaf was baked in a ceramic casserole for 15 mins with the lid on then 15 mins with it off to brown it up.
The double loaves were put on a baking sheet with another baking sheet on the lower oven rack with water to create some oven moisture.

Dan6310

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398046635.748687.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398046725.099019.jpg

Dan mentioned "Reinhart's book," I'm looking for a really awesome bread book for a gift for my SIL. She's really into sourdough & loves to bake bread & other things (pies, cakes, various pastries & such), so she's not a total n00b, but I know she'd love to step up her baking game; especially for bread. Anybody have a suggestion or two?
Regards, GF.

Dan mentioned "Reinhart's book," I'm looking for a really awesome bread book for a gift for my SIL. She's really into sourdough & loves to bake bread & other things (pies, cakes, various pastries & such), so she's not a total n00b, but I know she'd love to step up her baking game; especially for bread. Anybody have a suggestion or two?
Regards, GF.

"Bread Baker's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart and "Tartine" by Chad Robertson are two to look at. There are several other good ones that I don't own yet, so I'm looking forward to the replies as well!

I recently received the Tartine and Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day book. I think Reinhart's book covers a wider range of bread including the San Francisco style sourdough which Tartine is famous for. But Tartine does illustrate their process very well. Either would make a nice gift.

Sourdough bread from Reinhart's book.
The single loaf was baked in a ceramic casserole for 15 mins with the lid on then 15 mins with it off to brown it up.
The double loaves were put on a baking sheet with another baking sheet on the lower oven rack with water to create some oven moisture.

Dan6310

Perfect loaves, great job man. Really neat look on the scoring.

Goofed around a little today, made some 100% hydration levain based ciabatta. Didn't come out nearly as open as I would have guessed, but it's really moist and delicious. Would make some awesome garlic bread. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398567422.818187.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here is my first attempt at a 75% hydration sourdough bread.
I need to use more flour on the linen. I had the loaves stick to the linen so the rise was off.
The second loaf came out better as I transferred it from the linen to an oiled bowl and set in the fridge overnight.
Still delicious and good crumb.

Dan6310

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398614173.598136.jpg

Here is my first attempt at a 75% hydration sourdough bread.
I need to use more flour on the linen. I had the loaves stick to the linen so the rise was off.
The second loaf came out better as I transferred it from the linen to an oiled bowl and set in the fridge overnight.
Still delicious and good crumb.

Dan6310

Looks very nice. I can see where it stuck to the linen and damaged the surface of the dough. What are you putting it inside of to proof?

Looks very nice. I can see where it stuck to the linen and damaged the surface of the dough. What are you putting it inside of to proof?

It was a cotton linen which was saturated with flour which was in a plastic bowl.
I'm going to buy some flax linen as this is suppose to work better.

Dan6310

It was a cotton linen which was saturated with flour which was in a plastic bowl.
I'm going to buy some flax linen as this is suppose to work better.

Dan6310

The plastic bowl is your problem. The dough can't breathe, and you will keep encountering this until get a basket. You can find straw baskets for very cheap, or you can bite the bullet and get some actual bannetones. These are the ones I got.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006J7JWHU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Freshly sliced loaf of spent grains bread from the Zojirushi breadmaker. I usually do a couple of these loaves each week. Great way to use up that spent grain.

Looks great man! Whole wheat in there too?

Maybe he's confusing you with Yooper, who had that sorta-dominatrix avatar, or Melana, who had the devilish Mrs Claus avatar during the holidays?

Nah there's a newish girl around with tattoos that has herself as her avatar.. That's who I was thinking of. But Yoops avatars are definitely chick-ish.

Has anyone tried drying their spent grain and milling it to a flour? I've always just frozen it wet and nuked it when I was ready for it.

Has anyone tried drying their spent grain and milling it to a flour? I've always just frozen it wet and nuked it when I was ready for it.

I dry my grains spread on cookie sheets in a 200F oven for a few hours. They get fluffy when dried completely. I cool'em off & store in 1G zip lock freezer bags in the pantry. I label them for what beer they were used for.
I then use my Mr Coffee burr grinder on the finest Espresso setting to grind it into flour for recipes.

I used my Excalibur dehydrator ONCE to do this - I don't recommend it! The grains all stuck into the holes on the trays. It was kind of a mess.

But, I went ahead and used the Vitamix to grind it up - and used it for breads. Like the store-bought malted wheat, it was a dense heavy bread when used by itself.

I just bag the wet grains (well-drained) into sandwich baggies, 8 oz. each, and freeze, then use one baggie per loaf of bread. Works better.

Also recently started adding about 4 oz. of the spent grains to 1 pound of ground meat - mix well, then make burgers or meatloaf. It's moist and delicious stuff!

I used my Excalibur dehydrator ONCE to do this - I don't recommend it! The grains all stuck into the holes on the trays. It was kind of a mess.

But, I went ahead and used the Vitamix to grind it up - and used it for breads. Like the store-bought malted wheat, it was a dense heavy bread when used by itself.

I just bag the wet grains (well-drained) into sandwich baggies, 8 oz. each, and freeze, then use one baggie per loaf of bread. Works better.

Also recently started adding about 4 oz. of the spent grains to 1 pound of ground meat - mix well, then make burgers or meatloaf. It's moist and delicious stuff!

I was thinking about using the spent grain in my burger mix, now I will have to try it.

Dan6310

I dry my spent grains with my LEM dehydrator. I line the trays with foil and stir 1/2 way thru the drying time.

Dan6310

I thought about lining mine with parchment paper, but honestly, I prefer the wet spent grains added to our regular homesprouted/dehydrated/ground red wheat flour anyway, so haven't bothered. But lining the trays would be a definite must if I were ever to do it again! :)

We've got silicon mats that they sell to go on top of the trays for the Excalibur, they work really well for that kind of thing along with making fruit roll ups.

Mine came with only 2 of those and I haven't bought more - in fact I just use them in the bottom of the Excaliber to catch any crumbs!

The parchment paper works well though. IF I decide to dehydrate any more of those spent grains, I'll give that a try.

Back