High FG on Old Jube clone - low temp to blame?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelleomi

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just bottled my Old Jubilation clone (Avery).

3 lbs light DME
5 lbs 5 oz light LME
1 lb 2 row pale malt
13 oz Special roast
13 oz Victory malt
1.6 oz chocolate
0.8 oz black malt
3.2 oz turbinado sugar
1 tsp irish moss
1 oz Brewers gold
1 oz Columbus hops
WL 013 London Ale in in half gal starter

OG was supposed to be 1.074 but was 1.06 (my first problem).
My house is 60-66 F since we keep the thermostat low. My fishtank stays around 62 F, so I suppose that is what the beer was also maintaining. It was in primary for 10 days, secondary for 19 days.

FG was 1.02, was supposed to be 1.015. It is definitely sweet to the taste. Do you think the low temp was the problem? Will it finish more in the bottle? The taste is good - just a little sweet and obviously not as alcoholic as the real Old Jube...

Also, I obviously need advice with my partial mashing. I tested a sample with iodine and it seemed to be done. I had raised a gal of water to 162, put the grains in and turned off the heat for a half hour. I figured this got both the alpha and beta amylases. After a half hour, the temp was 142. Iodine test, sparge in another gal of water and then onto the boil. I also did a starter of my yeast in about a half gallon to get them going nicely.

Any ideas?

Back