How long to Primary/Secondary Belgian Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanmj

Reaction score
I have had a bit of a problem in the past with being impatient and drinking beers before they peak. I recently brewed an amber belgian strong (1.076 OG) and I would like to age it for quite a while before drinking it. I have begun aging my beers in the fermenters for a while before bottling them and I want to do that. So my question is how long would be a good amount in primary and how long in secondary. I was thinking primary for a month to start and maybe secondary for 4-8 weeks. The yeast is WL Trappist Ale. I am in no hurry to drink it and really want it to condition well.

Thanks!

mcleanmj said:
I have had a bit of a problem in the past with being impatient and drinking beers before they peak. I recently brewed an amber belgian strong (1.076 OG) and I would like to age it for quite a while before drinking it. I have begun aging my beers in the fermenters for a while before bottling them and I want to do that. So my question is how long would be a good amount in primary and how long in secondary. I was thinking primary for a month to start and maybe secondary for 4-8 weeks. The yeast is WL Trappist Ale. I am in no hurry to drink it and really want it to condition well.

Thanks!

Difficult to answer because your taste will be different than ours. What you prose might work great but honestly you need to sample your beer along the way.

Give it, perhaps 3weeks primary and sample/taste/evaluate and go from there. If its still too 'hot' or hasn't mellowed than give it more time and bulk condition it for some more time

Latest posts

Back