First gravity reading on first batch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohill1981

Reaction score
we'll i just took my first gravity reading a few minutes ago. The bucket has been sitting untouched for 7 days. I never took the OG, but my kit tells me i should have a final gravity of 1.010-1.012. When i checked the gravity it was at 1.020. Does this reading sound about right for a brew that has been sitting for a week?

When i checked the gravity it was at 1.020. Does this reading sound about right for a brew that has been sitting for a week?

that is a very general question, but to answer it...i would give it atleast 10 days in the primary, maybe even 12-14. a lot of people seem to get stuck at .020. what temp is it at?

It is around 73 -75 degrees. Yeah when i saw the 1.020 i was kinda bummed after reading so much about people getting stuck there. I was going to check it again in a couple days i guess if it is still at the same point i have a problem.

did you use a starter? if not, the yeast might have dropped out a bit early...i've had luck giving the bucket/carboy a good swirl to bring them back up. some people say it doesn't do anything but i know what it did to my beer when i did it! that temp is a little higher than i usually like, though...

No i did not use a starter. I just kind of followed the directions that came with my kit. I wish i had rehydrated my yeast and aerated the wort a little, but the simple directions did not get into that. So instead i just pitched my yeast after cooling the wort to about 68 degrees. I let the yeast sit on top for about 10 minutes then slowly stirred it over the top. If my reading still read 1.020 in a couple days should i look into adding something to the batch to maybe jump start the yeast again ? Also does it not hurt the beer to stir it up at this point in the cycle?

well, atleast you know now what to do next time. i wouldn't stir the yeast in, though. once you pitch them just let it be. i don't think it will hurt the beer- I'm no expert but i've read about some people give it a stir to get the yeast suspended again. you don't want to aerate the beer by splashing it around, but a gentle stir or a spin of the bucket might help you out.

you could probably repitch some more yeast, or you could just bottle it if swirling/stirring doesn't work and just call it lesson learned. just let another reason to brew again :mug:

At only seven days, I would do nothing at all and leave the brew sit until three weeks in the primary (minimum) before you start asking yourself "what went wrong." Most folks that assume their brew went south start fiddling around, then end up doing more harm than good. Just leave it sit...

...there could be ten reasons as to why you're getting that SG reading, none of them having anything to do with the actual SG of your brew. In order to get a good culture, you need to use a starter, use nutrients, and properly aerate (in addition to all the other things that lead to a good brew, such as proper sanitation, a good recipe, late extract editions, etc etc etc).

What type of brew is this anyway, and what was the intended starting gravity? A lot of the heavy beers I do end up at 1.020, and that's around where I want them to be, so maybe you're fine anyhow. But again, primary fermentation can take up to 2 weeks, plus 1-2 weeks of conditioning time -- so by all accounts you're jumping the gun making a call on it this early, especially considering lackadaisical pitching practices (none of which were any fault of yours, but due to the instructions that came with your kit).

In other words, put that lid back on your primary and leave it alone for another 3 weeks. Just forget about it entirely. After that time, prime & bottle, and let it sit for another 3-4 weeks. Again, forget about it entirely. Put in the fridge for a week, then sample.

During all that down time, you should think about what you can do next time to ensure a good beer. Things like proper oxygenation (preferably with an oxygenation kit), a yeast starter (preferably with flask and stir-plate), and yeast nutrient are only a few of the things that contribute to a solid culture and, subsequently, a solid brew.

Don't lose sleep over your first beer. If it's drinkable after the above fermentation and conditioning times, then you're moving in the right direction. I was fortunate in that my first brew was pretty good -- nothing close to great, but better than most garbage that's out there. It encouraged me to research techniques, buy the proper equipment, etc. Now I'm turning out some really fantastic brews. I'm sure you'll be in the same boat a few weeks/months down the road, but for now just get that basic information down. HBT is a great resource for figuring out the ropes. This place will make you a semi-pro in no time.

Thanks for the quick response and the information and i apologize for my lack there of :) I am brewing an Amber Ale kit with a BG of 1.042- 1.044 and a FG of 1.010-1.012. I am in the middle of reading Charlie Papazian's " the complete joy of homebrewing" and just read a chapter about oxygen and yeast. and I think maybe i spotted some of the reason why i am stuck at the 1.020 Could not aerating my wort and rehydrating my yeast get me stuck at this reading?, Also if i take another Hydrometer reading in a few days and it is still at 1.020 would that not indicate that the fermentation has ceased?

All those things are true to a degree, but obsessing over SG readings is what gets a lot of people it trouble. Aerating your wort, and generally doing anything at all to it at this point, will do nothing but make things worse. The beer will oxygenate, then oxidation will set it, and it will be nasty.

The reason I say leave it in there for 3 weeks is that even after primary fermentation is complete, the yeast are still active. They start to feed on all the waste products from primary fermentation -- esters, etc. Things that mess with the flavor profile of your brew, and muddy it up. I've done my own experiments, as have others, and there is a notable improvement in taste between 2 weeks (ie: end of primary ferment) and three weeks. So by all accounts, you're looking at 2 more weeks minimum.

And this is why I say forget the SG readings. In other words, if you have that brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks and it hasn't fermented out in that time, it never will, and there's nothing you can do to change that.

Regarding the Joy of Homebrewing: there's a lot of good info in there, but a lot of it is antiquated as well. Your best bet is to learn the ropes from people on here, then return to the Joy for more advanced stuff like water treatment, recipes, etc.

Thanks a lot! I guess since i will be waiting longer now i need to go buy another fermenter so i can get started on another batch! Would purchasing a glass carboy with another airlock be a bad idea for another primary ?

Thanks a lot! I guess since i will be waiting longer now i need to go buy another fermenter so i can get started on another batch! Would purchasing a glass carboy with another airlock be a bad idea for another primary ?

I personally prefer buckets for primaries. They're much easier to work with, safer, and less expensive. A glass primary will show you no benefits over a bucket for all practical intents and purposes; it only has shortcomings.

Now if you want/need a secondary, I'd recommend a glass 5 gallon.

I personally prefer buckets for primaries. They're much easier to work with, safer, and less expensive. A glass primary will show you no benefits over a bucket for all practical intents and purposes; it only has shortcomings.

Now if you want/need a secondary, I'd recommend a glass 5 gallon.

+1 for the secondary carboy. he is right for sure about the glass primaries having shortcomings, but you have to admit its cool to watch fermentation :D

now I'm not trying to hijack, but i have a question that may or may not go through the OP's mind at some point during this thread. there are some people who don't recommend leaving the beer in buckets for a month, wouldn't a glass primary have an advantage there? and also, i've read that its not good to have the beer on top of the yeast cake for a month.

+1 for the secondary carboy. he is right for sure about the glass primaries having shortcomings, but you have to admit its cool to watch fermentation :D

It's cool to watch fermentation, but exposing your brew to light will skunk it in quick order. In other words, if you're using glass, they need to be in a 100% pitch black environment, or covered.

now I'm not trying to hijack, but i have a question that may or may not go through the OP's mind at some point during this thread. there are some people who don't recommend leaving the beer in buckets for a month, wouldn't a glass primary have an advantage there? and also, i've read that its not good to have the beer on top of the yeast cake for a month.

Both of the above are false claims, based more on supposition than fact. The glass vs. plastic debacle centers on the fact that plastic is, to a very small extent, permeable with regard to oxygen. But it would take months, maybe years, for the amount of O2 that seeps in to have any noticeable effect on the brew. In short, for practical purposes glass does not have an advantage in this regard.

The thing about leaving the yeast on the cake for a month is again based upon supposition, and the term "autolysis." Autolysis refers to yeast cell death. When a yeast cell dies, it breaks down through enzymatic action, releasing nasty crap into the brew. This inevitably happens with most or all of the yeast that end up in the bottle, but the quantities aren't near enough to cause any harm. But if you had a massive yeast holocaust while the beer was still sitting on the cake in the primary, issues would arise.

However -- and this is the however of howevers -- it would take months for autolysis to rear its head. I've read reports of guys leaving their beers in the primary for 3 months on the cake with narry a problem. 3-6 weeks is the currently accepted time frame for leaving brews on the cake. Speaking from personal experience and experimentation, I've noticed a big improvement in brews between 2 weeks (roughly the end of primary ferment) and 3 weeks. Ideally, I'd leave all my brews on the cake for 4-5 weeks, but in the interest of throughput, I keep them on the cake for 3 weeks, then rack to a secondary for a week.

i call that done and done! thanks for the clarification. i too, like many new brewers used to rush the beer out of the primary. i currently have a stout that is sitting in the primary right now, it will be 3 weeks on wed. the 2 previous brews, i had in the primary for 2 weeks and they were the clearest beers i've ever had. heres my stout recipe if anyone is interested.

3.5 gallon AG american stout

7# american 2-row
8 oz crystal 120
6 oz black patent
10 oz flaked oats
10 oz flaked barley
10 oz chocolate malt

1 oz nugget @60
1 oz fuggle @10

London ale yeast

SG-1.070

i call that done and done! thanks for the clarification. i too, like many new brewers used to rush the beer out of the primary. i currently have a stout that is sitting in the primary right now, it will be 3 weeks on wed. the 2 previous brews, i had in the primary for 2 weeks and they were the clearest beers i've ever had. heres my stout recipe if anyone is interested.

3.5 gallon AG american stout

7# american 2-row
8 oz crystal 120
6 oz black patent
10 oz flaked oats
10 oz flaked barley
10 oz chocolate malt

1 oz nugget @60
1 oz fuggle @10

London ale yeast

SG-1.070

Where's the roasted barley? ;)