Few more kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I've been working slowly the past couple weeks building a kegerator and getting into kegging. Fortunately, I got everything ordered and built ahead of time, because man has it been a learning experience! So I have had my keg system for about a week now (single keg) and had my co2 canister filled up on wednesday so I could start testing it. From a previous post when I first pressured it up I had a huge leak at the coupling between the shank and faucet, no big deal, tightened it up, problem solved.

So on to the questions. I had to remove the picnic faucet from the beer hose and connect it to a 3/16 barb for my faucet mounted on a tap tower. I have been removing it and putting it back on multiple times throughout the process of building my kegerator. Now, when I finally put the finishing touches on the kegerator, I did a test pour of water and I'm having a small leak at the barb connection.

Q1: Do you guys use radiator clamps at all the barb connections? If not, should I just cut the end off my beer hose and give the barb a "fresh" connection of "unwarped" hose?

Q2: Since the process of removing and reconnecting the hose seems to have caused the leak, do you guys typically take apart all the hose connections between batches to sanitize, or will simply running sanitizer through the keg, hoses and faucet be sufficient? I guess I don't want to keep having to disconnect everything, as it's a pain in the @$$ with a tap tower.

Thanks in advance for the help! I'll post pics of the kegerator when I can officially call it done.

snip it off. "dip the tip" in hot water to soften it then shove it on the 1/4" barb and secure with a hose clamp or oilicker? style one-use clamp. once affixed, you only need to remove the barb if replacing the lines.

Currently I have a 5' hose with about 2.5 feet between the middle of the keg to the tap. Is 5' too short, or should I get a longer hose? From what I understand, you want your line just long enough so your keg pressure can overcome the losses in the line/shank. Is there a a good "all purpose" length? I really don't want to be switching hoses out between batches. I'll probably be carbing at 2.2-3.0 for most batches @ 38-40F. I like my beer cold:mug:

Back