Anyone know if Vittles Vaults can handle hot wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
I'm hoping it can handle transferring hot work from the boil kettle straight to the vittles vault as I was planning on doing this for no-chill brewing. I believe they are HDPE. Anyone do this before? If so, do you seal the lid up tight or leave it a bit loose until cool so it doesn't implode?

Thanks all,
JD

I have not done a no chill batch so take this for what it's worth. The no chill methods I have read tend to use the collapsible water type containers. This allows them to be squeezed down to eliminate the excess air before capping on the hot wort. If you were to use a solid vessel then that would leave a lot of air space, I think that may contribute to off flavors in the finished product.

I'm hoping it can handle transferring hot work from the boil kettle straight to the vittles vault as I was planning on doing this for no-chill brewing. I believe they are HDPE. Anyone do this before? If so, do you seal the lid up tight or leave it a bit loose until cool so it doesn't implode?

Thanks all,
JD

Did you ever get your answer? I guess you could find out for sure the type of plastic then google [plastic name] material characteristics and you should get all sorts of data, including temp range. Also mcmaster usplastics has a lot of this info.

Latest posts

Back