Question about AG Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busta98

Reaction score
I brewed my first AG imperial IPA and I'm a newbie to AG so I have something I'd like some feedback on. I used 3lbs of specialty grains and 14lbs of 2-row. It's a 5 gallon batch.

Here's what I'm not sure about:

How is mash efficiency calculated?

It came out real thick and murky and since alot of stuff has settled out and probably gonna be a huge trub. Any reason for that?

Need to know the potential for each of the grains. You can use 36 points/lb as a rough guide. That is 1 lb has the potential to produce a wort of 1.036 in 1 gallon of water.

You have 17 lbs of grain. Potential is 17 x 36 = 612 points. In 5 gallons this has the potential for 122 points per gallon or a wort gravity of 1.122.

Next you measure what you actually get.

For 75% efficiency you would have a wort gravity of 1.091.

It came out real thick and murky and since alot of stuff has settled out and probably gonna be a huge trub. Any reason for that?

Could be lots of things, but chances are if you didn't use a hop sock for an IIPA then most of it is hops from your boil. If you cooled in the kettle and didn't strain the wort going into the primary then you'll have hot and cold break as well. It'll be fine, you'll just lose some volume due to the trub.

Need to know the potential for each of the grains. You can use 36 points/lb as a rough guide. That is 1 lb has the potential to produce a wort of 1.036 in 1 gallon of water.

You have 17 lbs of grain. Potential is 17 x 36 = 612 points. In 5 gallons this has the potential for 122 points per gallon or a wort gravity of 1.122.

Next you measure what you actually get.

For 75% efficiency you would have a wort gravity of 1.091.

Oh ok. If that's the case I hit about 65% efficiency. (OG 1.081) Looks like a got some work to work to do on mashing efficiency. Thanks for the calculation.

Could be lots of things, but chances are if you didn't use a hop sock for an IIPA then most of it is hops from your boil. If you cooled in the kettle and didn't strain the wort going into the primary then you'll have hot and cold break as well. It'll be fine, you'll just lose some volume due to the trub.

Yeah I think you're right. I'll remember one of those for next time. Tahnks for the info. Are they like the steeping socks?

Back