ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I am going to build out THIS single stage unit and I took it apart to check out the relay. The site says "5a 220v" but mine has a 15a 110v (12a 250v) relay. Very good news as I was going to have to get a $10 relay from RS. Now off to find a box to put it in.
This was the only box either of the 3 thrift stores in town had. I need to trim the leather that I used to shim out the controller as the box was a bit small. Also need to replace the metal box with something plastic as I am only using a 2 wire cord but need to find something pretty.

2012-02-26_11-32-44_380(1).jpg

I built mine today. I may sell this one and buy a single stage as that is all i will need for my keezer. not sure yet as i may use it for a ferm chamber for a couple of brews. I used a recessed outlet so i can mount it on the keezer collar and then push that corner of the keezer into the corner without worrying about the cord hanging out too much.

Here are the pics
IMAG0707.jpg

IMAG0709.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

IMAG0712.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g119/ecocav04/Brewing
/IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

IMAG0715.jpg

Ok so i just brewed a weeheavy and this time of year the temp swing above and below my desired ferment temp of 60.
Of course I didn't think of this until i had it in the fermenter and was setting my single stage controller. I had ordered the two stage one a while back and it has been setting on the shelf waiting, like most of ny projects do, for desperation to set in and move it to the front burner.
A quick trip to lowes and an excuse to buy a new tool, a Rockwell sonicrafter cordless model (honest honey I cant complete this without it). It worked great for cutting the plastic box.
Here is my quick and dirty temp controller build.

View attachment 49995

ForumRunner_20120227_210632.jpg

ForumRunner_20120227_210700.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120227_210646.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120227_210646.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 580
cheesecake and Berniep,

Excellent looking builds. I've seen a lot of pictures of the box everyone builds...but curious on the temperature sensor. I assume most people are using this setup for a fermentation heater/cooler or keezer, but I'm looking to build something similar for a RIMS tube and not sure if people are using the temp sensor that comes with this inserted into a thermowell, or if the probe can be put into a 1/4" (or other) compression fitting.

Cheers,
Aaron

I know it's a bit on the lazy side of things for me, but as the previous poster said: this thread is freaking huge, and after scrolling through about 30 or 40 pages... I haven't seen exactly this unit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f02ce0f7d#ht_4167wt_987
Can anyone vouch for whether or not this one'll work?

Anyone go with this seller?

Many of the early ebay links in the thread have since died, but from all I can tell this is what I will need, and at a better price ($23.80 incl. shipping to Michigan) than any of the others I've seen. There is a link to a ºF unit a couple pages back in the thread that's only a dollar or so more, but the estimated delivery time is three weeks to a month vs. about 10 days on this one, and I really don't mind ºC, also it sounds like this unit is dual stage, vs. not on the ºF unit...) I plan to (if this works out well for me) eventually set up an additional fermentation chamber, and would like to give one to my girlfriend who does a lot of pickle etc. fermentation, so right now cheap and fast delivery time takes precedence over any desire I may have to use fahrenheit.

I believe I saw under the notes he ships the right voltage based on ur shipping address. so you should be fine. I didn't use him but maybe someone else did.

I know it's a bit on the lazy side of things for me, but as the previous poster said: this thread is freaking huge, and after scrolling through about 30 or 40 pages... I haven't seen exactly this unit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Digita...ultDomain_0&hash=item3f02ce0f7d#ht_4167wt_987
Can anyone vouch for whether or not this one'll work?

Anyone go with this seller?

Many of the early ebay links in the thread have since died, but from all I can tell this is what I will need, and at a better price ($23.80 incl. shipping to Michigan) than any of the others I've seen. There is a link to a ºF unit a couple pages back in the thread that's only a dollar or so more, but the estimated delivery time is three weeks to a month vs. about 10 days on this one, and I really don't mind ºC, also it sounds like this unit is dual stage, vs. not on the ºF unit...) I plan to (if this works out well for me) eventually set up an additional fermentation chamber, and would like to give one to my girlfriend who does a lot of pickle etc. fermentation, so right now cheap and fast delivery time takes precedence over any desire I may have to use fahrenheit.

STC-1000, this is the seller I used, came in about a week to Western PA. I believe the STC-1000 is the main focus of this thread, so it should work..

I don't get BYO magazine, but I saw the headline that mentions building your own temp controller. If the article actually uses the same parts as the OP, then shouldn't they be called out for copying and not giving credit?

I don't get BYO magazine, but I saw the headline that mentions building your own temp controller. If the article actually uses the same parts as the OP, then shouldn't they be called out for copying and not giving credit?

If they did a balntant copy/paste yes. But really this is not all that hard to do for someone with basic electrical knowledge and the parts are fairly standard compnants - A 2 outlet socket, project box, stc-1000, wire, etc. But if they used the OPs photos without asking I would think thats not cool.

Watch out, that one is the 220V version. If you need 110V, don't use this link!!!! This link is the 110V version for $3 more: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110V-All-pu...ltDomain_0&hash=item33707b6307#ht_4040wt_1163

It's posted a few times on the page tha despite the documentation, they are selling the 110V version. I was a bit nervous myself after hitting order and re-reading all those notes about 220V, butttt... My hopes are high... I'll let everyone know!

Thanks for looking out, though!

zing said:
It's posted a few times on the page tha despite the documentation, they are selling the 110V version. I was a bit nervous myself after hitting order and re-reading all those notes about 220V, butttt... My hopes are high... I'll let everyone know!

Thanks for looking out, though!

Yeah, I placed the order for the "220V" version. Sent an email requesting the 110V version and Bicky responding stating the 110V version would be sent. Quick response, hopefully quick to ship too!

From the same seller? Again... at first glance this one looks to be the 220V version, but a few times throughout the page it says 110V... I might send a quick email just to make sure now...

I can't wait for temp control!

Yeah, I bought the one from the link that MerlinWerks provided. I noticed it said 220V so sent an email and Bicky responded quickly stating the 110V would be shipped. It shipped out this morning! :)

I'll let you know if it's the right one when I get it.

Hey, I'm looking to only control 1 temp in my keggerator, around 40ish. So I don't need a heat/cool unit. Looking at this, to save a few $.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140707197978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

9gef74.jpg

Just wondering what what's the difference from LOAD #1 & #2, is from POWER #3 #4?
Please fill this in for me..........

#1 #2
#3 #4
#5 #6 would be to outlet, fridge plugs into.
#7 #8 is Temp Probe

The two "load" terminals (1&2) are two sides of the switch, one side of which would go to the outlet, and the other would be incoming power. Terminals 3&4 are power to the unit. You don't need to use terminals 5&6. 7&8 are for the temp sensor. There's a wiring diagram for that unit in my gallery, but I can't figure out how to post it here from my phone. Have a look through my gallery if it's still not clear. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I placed the order for the "220V" version. Sent an email requesting the 110V version and Bicky responding stating the 110V version would be sent. Quick response, hopefully quick to ship too!

The only place I see 220V mentioned is in the wiring diagram, 110V mentioned everywhere else. Regardless, that is the link I used to purchase from and mine came as 110V.

The two "load" terminals (1&2) are two sides of the switch, one side of which would go to the outlet, and the other would be incoming power. Terminals 3&4 are power to the unit. You don't need to use terminals 5&6. 7&8 are for the temp sensor. There's a wiring diagram for that unit in my gallery, but I can't figure out how to post it here from my phone. Have a look through my gallery if it's still not clear. Hope this helps.

Your gallery be EMPTY.... But based on what you said you answered my question - terminals 5&6 are not needed. Wonder what purpose they actually do serve?

Your gallery be EMPTY.... But based on what you said you answered my question - terminals 5&6 are not needed. Wonder what purpose they actually do serve?

Here it is-

5712-single-stage-wiring.jpg

I think 5&6 can be used for an alarm function and to override the controller, but I'm not sure. The labels and diagrams that unit used to come with listed it as "lock".

Thanks JuanMoore. I tried to look at your gallery but can't seem to find any pics......

When you get a chance, would appreciate the pic if you could find it. Seem to understand stuff better when I examine it over and over and over. lol.

-Alan-

P.S. I previously wired up a STC-1000 for my fermentation freezer, like I said before only need to control 1 temp for my kegs. Seems the back of this one is a little different than the STC-1000. Thanks again.

thanks!!! Also many of you have the C version - there is a Fahrenheit version out there for the same price! Just gotta dig on Ebay for it!

thanks!!! Also many of you have the C version - there is a Fahrenheit version out there for the same price! Just gotta dig on Ebay for it!
The only Fahrenheit unit I have found in this price range is a SINGLE STAGE....Have actually found two but the other is 12v.

Just to be clear, the STC-1000 which is dual stage (heating and cooling at the same time) is only available in C. The fahrenheit units are all single stage AFAIK.

Very true - sorry for any confusion. I use the F single stage one to control my HERMS pump. A fermentation chamber would probably be better off with the dual stage controller.

Very true - sorry for any confusion. I use the F single stage one to control my HERMS pump. A fermentation chamber would probably be better off with the dual stage controller.

Yep, I have a STC-1000 for my ferm chamber, and 3 of the single stage units for my keezer and the control panel of my HERMS. I actually prefer the SS temp probes on the single stage units over the plastic ones that come with the STC-1000.

I just need a single stage 110v Fahrenheit controller. I would like the one that reads set point and current temp. Does anybody know where I can find this one or the model of it?

I just need a single stage 110v Fahrenheit controller. I would like the one that reads set point and current temp. Does anybody know where I can find this one or the model of it?
http://www.auberins.com/
They are a little more expensive. But have a wide variety to suit any situation
A lot of people have used these for mash and HLT temp control

Back