clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack

Reaction score
Here's what I did. I picked up a bottle of unfiltered, unpasteurized cider from the local farmers' market and threw some english cider yeast into it and some champagne yeast a couple days later (as a cider newbie I was afraid that it would turn out too sweet, and I'd rather err on the side of being too dry than too sweet). I was going to to a single-stage process, and so I left it in the primary for about two months. After about five weeks it was absolutely crystal clear, and then in the sixth week it suddenly became cloudy. I racked it into a secondary fermenter and let it stand for about another month but it didn't clear up at all.

Since I don't really care I didn't bother trying cold crashing and I was too lazy to buy some pectinase, I don't really know what I caused the delayed clouding.

It could either be:
1. pectin haze, in which case I need to invest in pectinase
2. autolysis, in which case I should rack it sooner
3. suspended yeast, in which case I need to cold crash it out

Which of these, if any, do you guys think is the correct solution?

I wouldn't think its autolysis, mainly because I've had my cider in the same vessel for 8 weeks, and it is as clear as can be.

It may be that you have to cold crash it to make the yeast fall to the bottom.

Not autolysis (think open sewer). Most likely pectin haze, but try crash cooling first.

Back