I am gonna be in San Antonio TX next month, where are the good pubs and eateries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
I am gonna have some local guides, but they aren't beer drinkers so much. Where is a good place to get some spicy food and a cold beer?

Yuri_Rage said:
Perhaps it's cliche, but I always go...

Hit the Riverwalk!

I already have a hotel right on there. I figured it would be good for4 getting my drink on and not having to drive.

There are Mexican food places up the wazoo and they're all pretty good. I walked about a half mile to the blue star brewery and got the sampler. I stumbled back to the riverwalk (Hilton) half cocked because there were TWO barley wines, one of which was bourbon barrel aged. Anyway, worth the walk or short cab ride.

you beat me to it bobby. i miss the blue star king william barleywine. if youre on the riverwalk, you can try the havana riverwalk inn. they dont have good beer but its just a nice bar. if youre willing to travel near downtown, go eat real mexican food at La Calesa on Hildebrand and Broadway then stop in at The Lion and the Rose down Broadway for a beer.

We've got an irish pub on the riverwalk called Dirty Nelly's. There's also a british pub called Mad Dog's. I usually stop in both of them if I'm around the riverwalk. Mad Dog's has nice eye candy to go with their ales.

As a former San Antonian I'll chime in here:

Go to Mi Tierra or La Margarita for Mexican food. They are both downtown and are considered local icons. You know they aren't tourist traps since tons of locals eat there. Rosario's is another excellent spot for Mexican food.

Also, be sure and try some Texas BBQ: The County Line on the Riverwalk is allright but Rudy's BBQ (multiple locations) is the definition of Texas BBQ.

Never tried the Blue Star Brewery but I've heard it's pretty good also.

Thanks for the info, I am gonna be there for 11 days so I should get a chance to hit most of these places up.

you have to go to the flying saucer. it's probably one of the best pubs i've been to. i even think it's better than the gingerman in austin. more beers than you can fathom and they serve all of them in the style appropriate glassware. look them up on the web

I live in SA and the best mexican food joints are on WW White. LaVinnas, Freds Fish Factory, Sandritas......
If there aren't chalk outlines of people on the floor the food probably aint very good. Mi Terra's is good.

Recently Bon Appetite magazine (sp?) just named a little taco place off Hildebrand the best tacos in the country. I think the name is believe it or not "Taco taco cafe" or "taco taco house". Me and SWMBO tracked the place down once we heard about it.

It was good food, if you have the time stop by there and check it out.

If you head up to Austin, hit Uncle Billy's Brew & Que on Barton Springs. Great Beer & BBQ. Tuesdays are $2 pints.

Uncle Billy's gets
icon14.gif
from me.

I'd also recommend The Salt Lick in driftwood Texas outside of Austin for barbecue. It's bring your own beer too!

Barbecue is a sensitive subject especially in Texas but those ribs they have are pretty darn good. Even better with some homebrew.

If you're going to be up that way, might as well stop in at AHS too. I've only been able to make the trip once but maybe this weekend I'll head up there. They've got their Octoberfest party and sale going down on Saturday.

oo oo oo so many good suggestion... thanks, guys! **scampers off to google maps**

<-- tenchiro's erstwhile travel companion.

richenrygarcia said:
As a former San Antonian I'll chime in here:

Go to Mi Tierra or La Margarita for Mexican food. They are both downtown and are considered local icons. You know they aren't tourist traps since tons of locals eat there. Rosario's is another excellent spot for Mexican food.

Also, be sure and try some Texas BBQ: The County Line on the Riverwalk is allright but Rudy's BBQ (multiple locations) is the definition of Texas BBQ.

Never tried the Blue Star Brewery but I've heard it's pretty good also.

Amen brother! I'll second those choices!! Good food! and good atmosphere!

Neomich said:
Recently Bon Appetite magazine (sp?) just named a little taco place off Hildebrand the best tacos in the country. I think the name is believe it or not "Taco taco cafe" or "taco taco house". Me and SWMBO tracked the place down once we heard about it.

It was good food, if you have the time stop by there and check it out.

Yep, that's one of my favorites too! I used to live close by there, so every Sunday morning we would pay a little visit.

So far we have visited quite a few of your guy's choices. The Flying Saucer had an amazing selection, Dirty Nelly's & Mad Dog's were both cool, although the country music is a bit odd in an Irish pub. Blue Star Brewery was visited yesterday and although the waiter didn't seem to know much about beer, he did serve me a flight of their draft selections after I explained what it was. The cowboy museum near the Alamo was visited a few times and although their draft selection is a bit light, they did have a very nice pale ale.

We are gonna head out to Austin today to explore. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Back