Had my first homebrew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatHead

Reaction score
First thanks to all the veterans that answer questions here, even the ones that aren't mine have taught me a lot.

Second, even after all the mistakes I made from spilling sanitizing water all over the floor to way too high fermenting temperatures I still made a decent beer. My first batch was a standard brown ale recipe and I fermented for three weeks and had it bottled for one week before my curiosity got the better of me. The malt and bitterness are pretty well balanced but I wish it had more of the hop spiceness. From what I can tell that comes from dry hopping which my recipe didn't do. Can't wait to see what this tastes like in a couple weeks but even if it doesn't get a bit better I would still put it in the Lienenkeugels and Michelob area but wouldn't quite put it into my next teir of Sam Adams/ Blue Moon yet.

As someone that hasn't done this before and without friends that homebrew this site has proven my best resource. So thanks again for all the help.

:ban: Ain't it great? You throw stuff together, add yeast and patience, and you get something very drinkable. Then you immediately want to fine-tune it.

Here'e to your next batch!:mug:

I finished my first recently, and feel the same way. I did a Honey Ale that I got from a store kit locally, but it turned out fine. Now, I'm really hooked. As a matter of fact, I have already built my mash tun for going all grain.

Congratulations guys! There has been some discussion on another thread here so I thought I would ask you all as well to get some additional feedback. But I'd like to know what kind of kit did you use and about how much did it cost? Some people are using Mr. Beer kits while others like myself used a Brewers Best kit. What did you all use to get started brewing your very first batch of beer?

I got a starter kit from windriverbrew.com and it had everything I needed to start for $60 including an ingredient kit. I now add things to make my life easier with each ingredient kit I order.

My first was the Cooper's micro brew kit with their OS lager beer kit. Aged out well & even my wife loved it! I've recently started doing partial mash,& the hardest part is getting stable mash temps. Gunna do some more of my recombinent extract recipes soon just to touch base again.

Back