Transferring from sanke fermenter to corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perkins98

Reaction score
I know there are guys doing it with the fancy setup. That's not in the budget quite yet, so i'm looking for someone that can give alittle insight on how they do it the old way with a carboy cap. any good pics or a parts list would be awesome. I'm lost as to how your reducing sizes of tube and pipe and so on. I've go 1/4" CO2 lines, so here's my stuck point, what do i need to connect a 1/4" CO2 line to a carboy cap and make it stay? A stainless racking cane i'm assuming is 3/8", so that's fairly easy for the liquid out. Essentially i'm looking for the gas setup. Also are you guy's clamping the liquid out line to stop the flow, and if so doesn't that want to push the carboy cap off the keg or the lines out of it? Some insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I used to stick the swivel nut against the gas in side of the carboy cap and just blast it enough to start the siphon. If you're looking to push with CO2 throughout the transfer, you could rig up a line from:

CO2 regulator
to
1/4 MFL swivel nut to hose barb
14barbed_swivel_nut.jpg

to a 1/4 to 3/8 adaptor
91355k31l.gif

Then you could put a short piece of racking can in the gas port, slip the larger tubing over it and go to town.

I didn't have the hardware necessary to push the beer out of my sanke on the last batch. I use the Sanke fermenter kit, and bought everything to hook it up to CO2, but the barb for the CO2 hose! Doh!

So I set it up on a table, hooked up the racking tube to some hose going to a corny on the floor, and blew into the blowoff port on the fermenter.

Yea, yea, yea, I know... But it got the siphon started :D

Back