How much heat to kill a Wyeast pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishin-Jay

Reaction score
I ordered from AHS, which takes about 7 days to get to me in Idaho. I'm estimating that the delivery came around noon and I picked it up off my porch around 7:00 pm. The high that day was ~90 degrees.
I'm wondering if that amount of heat will screw up the smack pack?

I smacked it about two hours ago and it hasn't swollen at all sitting in my 73 degree house. Am I hosed? Should I go buy new yeast tomorrow? The yeast is California Lager. I was hoping to brew a California Common tomorrow. I'm hoping to get a starter going tonight.

When I make a starter with a smack pack, I just dump it in without smacking it.

But those temps probably didn't help it out that much. You could still salvage it with a starter though. Yeast are pretty resilient little buggers.

Let it sit over night and still try it in a starter. Austin sent me a Scotch Ale that only slightly puffed up over night but come the next morning after making the starter I had a decent sized ring of yeast on the bottom.

brewers yeast will survive up around 120*F, so i wouldn't worry about 90* day

smack packs can take time to swell If it was very fresh yeast, you'll see it bulging within 4-5 hours. If the yeast is a few months old and has been refrigerated, it could take over night or even a day or so to activate.

I have built starters from yeast that was a year + old, stepped it up, pitched it and made great beer with it
Don't worry about it. though you should consider using starters even with the activator packs. lots of yeast makes the brews happy.

I received a kit from AHS with White Labs yeast. Texas to Kansas in 100+ degrees. I made a starter and absolutely nothing. had to go to tne LHBS and get something close. I don't think yeast will survive 120*. Always understood not to pitch above 95* or it will kill the yeast. I am a noob so I could very well be wrong.:D

Back