Partially Converted (modified) Barley Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkp42

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am very much a newbie to brewing, so this should probably be in the newbie forum. I am hoping, however, that some users in the All-Grain section may be able to answer this question, since it relates to do-it-yourself malting.

I am trying to make a high abv. all-grain beer from home-malted barley. Unfortunately, a lot of my barley stops halfway through the malting process, (meaning that the acriospire only grows to 50% of the length of the grain, rather than the full 80% recommended). I am wondering if there is a logical way to figure out how much conversion has taken place in this partially-malted grain. If I know how much the grain has been modified at this point, I could "tweak" the recipe accordingly (i.e., leave out the flaked grains, increase the amount of malt in my mash, etc..)

I am sure there is some lab way to do it but I don't have the gear for it. All I did was mashed a small amount, which allowed me to more carefully control temps, and used that as my potential extract. I have noticed with my homemade malt that it really seems to benefit from a simple step mash (140F stepped up to final mashing temp).
Good luck.

Back