1 vs. 2 tier brew sculpture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wables

Reaction score
I am getting ready to build my brew sculpture, and I am debating using a 1 tier design vs. 2 tier design. I currently have a keggle, 70 qt cooler, and 8 1/2 gallon SS HLT. I am working on getting 2 more legal kegs, so I will eventually have a 3 keggle system. For the short term, I am thinking of using a single March pump and sticking with batch sparging. I am worried about it being to tippy if I go with a two tier, and the overall height for stirring the mash.

Does anyone have a link which describes the benefits of singal vs. dual tier designs?

How well do the March pumps throttle back if I eventually want a second pump to fly sparge?

Wables said:
How well do the March pumps throttle back if I eventually want a second pump to fly sparge?

You control the output of the pump with your ball valve and it works fine.

When I batch sparge, I only move liquid from one vessel to another at a time so I know I can get away with a single tier and one March pump. Having done 4 AG batches with batch sparging, I know I'm happy with it and do not plan on fly sparging anytime soon. Nothing says you can't buy another pump or raise up your HLT to another tier later though. Since you'll even pump to the fermenter, you can put everything on any height that is comfortable for you. I don't want to bend down to stir anything and I don't want to have to get a step stool.

Single tier batch sparge saves you money on an additional pump and keeps all vessels within reach. The tradeoff is the need for either complicated plumbing or somewhat pricy quick disconnects.

Thread Hijack: anyone find a cheaper quick disconnect solution?

I really like my single tier setup. I have two pumps because I fly sparge. Batch spargers could get away with one, but there's alot of connecting and disconnecting, which requires some form of quick disconnects and always results in drippage. I don't mind either, it's really no big deal.

I like having everything on one level. Pumps are a great addition, all in all I find having two is worth the added expense (even when I used to batch sparge).

Three kegs is another added benefit. It allows you to heat your strike water right in the mash tun, no transfer. Also, I do a direct fired mash recirculation (obviously not an option with coolers!). I'm happy with this method. You have to spend some time learning the nuances of your system so that brew sessions are predictable, but once you do there's no added complexity of RIMS/HERMS (and that's not a jab btw, both are excellent methods for brewing - I just choose direct heat).

My site is in my sig...lots of pics and info. If you have specific q's, feel free to PM.

No but I have an A&M buddy who took me to the Freebirds in Santa Barbara...I know, I know...can't be the same as the original...but as far as a sister store goes...that bbq burrito was not only gi-normous, but pretty damn tasty!

I went with a two tier setup so I could have the option to either batch or fly sparge without having to buy 2 pumps. My only requirement was that I could easily drag the system back into the garage when finished. I actually built 2 previous systems, one with wood and one out of slotted angle, both of them 3 tier(trying to avoid buying any pumps) but the hassle of diassembling the wood one or laying the slotted angle one down and dragging it into and out the garage made it worth buying the pump. I've only brewed one beer on my system, no problems with it being unstable.

Allan

Thank you very much for all of the help! After looking at a bunch of set-ups on line, I ended up going with a 2 tier, pyramid type design. I figure I can put either the HLT or the Mash Tun on top, and either batch or fly sparge with one pump. The steel was cut last night, and welding starts tomorrow. I will be sure to post pictures! Thanks again!

Back