1st Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does it usually take? I started a gallon over a week ago with no additional sugar using EC 1118 and it is still bubbling regularly. And how much sugar/dextrose do you add to a gallon for bottle conditioning? This is my first attempt at cider, I have one beer under my belt.

Mine has pretty much stop fermenting , can I rack put in fridge to crash , rack one more time and drink , then keep the one gallon container in the fridge .probably drink it in a few days

was at 1.000... racked , put in fridge ,started crashing ... now what. want it to clear looks like lot of sediment on bottom just since last night

wait the time to crash it, I didn't and got sediment in bottles.... no off flavor but it looks kinda blah

was at 1.000... racked , put in fridge ,started crashing ... now what. want it to clear looks like lot of sediment on bottom just since last night

As predicted, the cider did indeed turn out dry. :)

Give it some crashing time in order to clear up.

how do you tell , by the reading ? if it stopped like 1.010 means there is still sugar left?

how do you tell , by the reading ? if it stopped like 1.010 means there is still sugar left?

Most ciders will turn out dry....which is anywhere from 0.996ish to 1.000.

1.010 would have an ever so slight sweetness to it. I just started a new batch and am gonna attempt to stop it at 1.012ish in order to have a little sweetness and then pasteurize. That way, you don't have to deal with back sweetening with an artificial sweetener if you are bottling.

another question , now that Ive racked, I put the cap on and put in fridge... There is quite a bit of air space in bottle is that ok ? did not want to add more juice

Back