Look at this old mead I found...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTG

Farm Out!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Peoria, AZ - Originally from Rocket City USA
Saw this at my future brother in law's house. He got it out of his grandparents house after they died. Label says 1966 on it. The cap is intact. Hopefully I get to taste this someday.
oldmead1.jpg

Full size pictures are in my gallery.

GTG

I guess it would depend on how it was stored. I can't tell but is it corked? If so, hopefully it was kept cork angled down, or else it's probably more of a collectors bottle now, rather than a drinkable mead....

Nice find though!

Its hard to say from the pic, how has it been stored? Is there a lot of sediment in the bottom? It kind of looks like its less than full, which could mean evaporation and consequently oxidation.

From what I could see, there was not really a settlement on the bottom and the liquid inside was about 1 - 1.5 inches from the top of the bottle. I couldn't tell if the closure was threaded or a cork and no it has not beeen stored at an angle.
I'd be willing to give it a try if he'll ever open it. Hopefully I've made enough of an impression with him, thay he'll include me in on the tasting. I explained that it wasn't wine and it wasn't beer. He exclaimed "That's good, I don't like either!" So I told him I'd ship him some mead to try so he knows what he should be in for.

GTG

Back