Grout sealer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of sealer do you like for grout? This is for a bathroom, for porcelain floor tiles. The grout is a sanded polymer.

I was just going to go to Home Depot and buy some, but I've read some reviews at Lowe's about how some sealer is useless. I'm not sealing the tiles- just the grout. Any recommendations?

I'm turning into a regular Bob Villa here, but not as hairy. I've redone some minor projects, and I'm loving it. I finished 1/2 of a two car garage into a bedroom at my cottage, and am now doing a minor bathroom re-do. I'm installing a new tub, tub surround, faucets, toilet, and floor tile. I have a handy-man to do the plumbing and grunt work.

The tile is nice- but relatively inexpensive. It's porcelain, but looks like stone. The grout is darker, kind of a beigy-brown, so I don't have to worry about it darkening. I still want to seal it, though.

I don't remember the brand name but the one in the roller bottle was very easy to apply. I need to redo the grout my master bath. I bought the sealer at Home Depot.

I bought the brush on kind for the tile back splash I made for the kitchen.

backsplash2.jpg

My old apartment had tile floors in the bathrooms. They weren't glazed and they looked dark and dingy all the time. So I chose to glaze my grout in the kitchen of the new place.

B

We used a spray bottle for the tile in our enteryway. Goes on super easy. I'm not sure how it compares performance-wise. The can is like a bit can of spray cheese, but the sealer comes out in a clear liquid. Supposedly you can have overspray and it doesn't hurt the tile. Apply a few times. Takes hardly any time at all to apply though.

Thanks! We're going to Home Depot today (it's a 90 minute drive each way!) so we'll get the kind in the roller or brush bottle. I don't want to do all that work, and then not finish it!

I've always used the liquid, penetrating sealer- 2 coats. Something similar to Tile Guard at Lowes. I applied with a small sponge brush. I guess you can spray too, but the overspray might be a bit much. The key is to wipe it off the tile while it is wet. Never liked the spray-on.

I'm getting ready to grout myself, just waiting for the thin set to, well, set. I'm using plain jane sanded grout and then sealing it with Gundlach Grout Sealer. I've never used it, but trust the place that I got it from. It's looks like line marking spray paint (hold upside down), says it lasts 20 years. We shall find out.

Just sealed my tiled shower with Home depot stuff, don't remember the brand name, but it was in a green bottle. Quite expensive, but you use so little of it that the bottle should last for year. Caution on this, the tiles get very slippery for the first little while, and I was wiping off the over used stuff.

i have been cleaning carpet and tile for 8 years and i hate to be the bearer of bad news but sealer is useless. sealer is not designed to keep your grout clean like most people think it is designed to keep liquid from penetrating the grout lines. the only problem is the grout line needs to breath so they dont used a good sealer like clear coat for your car or polyurethane. the sealer that they sell for tile starts to break down as soon as you clean your tile with any thing that is above 8 in ph. therefore you cant use any good cleaners on the tile t keep it clean

Back