Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny I find this thread today. Because today I broke my second one. The wife broke the first one. (It was a great excuse to upgrade to a set of 3 narrow range) The one today was so ugly. I put my tube into a sauce pan to catch any beer I might spill. I then filled the tube from my racking cane when I was racking to my bottling bucket. After racking I reached down to pick up the sauce pan with the tube with the hydrometer in it up off the floor. I must have not picked it up level and the tube tipped over spilling the beer and the hydrometer all over the floor. :( Luckily my mid range goes down to 1.000 so I could still check my gravity:)

2134 The kids knocked the bucket that it was in with some other stuff off the top of the fridge looking for something last night. I think one of them even stepped on the fat end of it, as it was crushed. Yay.

Slow motion side swipe as I was reaching for the paper towels today and caught the graduated cylinder full of beer and hydrometer with the back of my hand. It flew about 6' before hitting and bouncing off the face of my kezer with no apparent damage (messy beer gush all over the keezer) then hit the floor with that sickening "dead" sound glass makes once its cracked.

Both the graduated cylinder and the hydrometer have cracks going spirally up but not connected. I was tempted to keep them but I just knew that it would end in stitches if I did. They held together all the way to the trash can where they both broke into 4 pieces. Do we have graduated cylinder count going too?

Lesson learned: don't stir anything with the hydrometer.

Doh!

My first broken hydrometer after four years of brewing. I'm ok with that pace.

Last year. Had it in the tube in my hand while I was pouring or rotating my arm somehow. Slow motion slipped out of the tube right in front of my dumb eyes and hit the floor and shattered. It was the old classic "turn your arm to check your watch and spill your coffee" situation.

While racking to the bottling bucket(yes i love bottling) I heard something fall behind me and so I turned so see what it was. Stepped on my hydrometer that was in its plastic case, moved my arm to much and sucked up some air into the siphon :(

Easy cleanup though for this one, which is number three for me. I'm averaging one a year so no real complaints

Slow motion side swipe as I was reaching for the paper towels today and caught the graduated cylinder full of beer and hydrometer with the back of my hand. It flew about 6' before hitting and bouncing off the face of my kezer with no apparent damage (messy beer gush all over the keezer) then hit the floor with that sickening "dead" sound glass makes once its cracked.

Both the graduated cylinder and the hydrometer have cracks going spirally up but not connected. I was tempted to keep them but I just knew that it would end in stitches if I did. They held together all the way to the trash can where they both broke into 4 pieces. Do we have graduated cylinder count going too?

If so, I just broke my test cylinder a few days ago. I had just taken the hydrometer out so it's still ok....for now.

I've actually had two dreams (nightmares) about breaking my hydrometer, but it hasn't happened yet!

Still using the hydrometer I bought in 2004 when I started brewing (probably just jinxed myself!)
3a5.jpg

I weighed in here when I broke my last one, so I bought another and a spare. Both are still going strong more than a year later.

So, maybe you'll have luck with this strategy too.

So lost the seal on the ball lock disconnect. Looking in a bucket I spill my wood chips in the bucket. So I'm emptying everything out so I pick up the wood chips so I find my gasket and I see the dang flask and hydrometer fall. It looks fine until I see the bottom busted out. That would 2153 and I never found the gasket.

2159. The dogs had it from the table and chewed the end of it.. No dogs were damaged in the process, no glass in dog mouths. Must store out of dog reach...

2160. I keep my thief, siphon, etc in a big mug and after rinsing it all there was a fair puddle on the bottom. So I thought, I'll just hold all the gear and dump the water into the tub. Well, that didn't hold the hydrometer sitting in the thief. So first one down.. Never thought it would happen after. .. 5 years?

2161: 5 brews in and on my 2nd already. Seems like I was just holding it and the next thing I know it is broke... FML

2162. Three batches of homebrew under my belt and the thing decides to commit suicide by heaving itself off of the workbench. Tried to save it with some fancy footwork, but to no avail.

Didn't know it was broken until I picked it out of the Star San bucket and it had liquid on the inside.

2165. Moved an entire household from Texas to Ohio the hydrometer was one of two items that didn't survive, other was a shot glass if I remember right.

2166. It was at the bottom of a pile of "bottling dishes" in the dish rack. Got broke from the stuff on top.

Every time I think about getting one of those FG hydrometers, I just re-read this thread! I'll still probably get one at some point, and just my luck (even thought I haven't broken one in a while), that will be the one I break and have to post another loss!

I'm probably tempting the Beer Gods, but I'm happy to report that I did indeed get one, and I've actually used it a couple of times now without breakage!

Back