Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most snobs would fail in blind taste tests. Just like wine "experts" do.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

Exactly, my homebrew club did this with 15 BMC drinkers. (Bud, Miller, Coors)

We let them drink a beer each before we started. They had them do a blind testing with BMC and three others.

Only 1 of 15 got it right and I think he had lucky guess. All they had to pick a beer and identify it out of 6, two-ounce samples.

Exactly, my homebrew club did this with 15 BMC drinkers. (Bud, Miller, Coors)

We let them drink a beer each before we started. They had them do a blind testing with BMC and three others.

Only 1 of 15 got it right and I think he had lucky guess. All they had to pick a beer and identify it out of 6, two-ounce samples.

To be fair, you did serve them 6 samples of the same beer, from cans with different manufacturers ;)

In the US, homebrewing is legal only for personal/family consumption.

Not quite. While some states may still have bad laws, generally it's completely legal for almost all non-commercial uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing#Legality

For example, I can give anyone my beer, but I can't sell it to them. I can take it to a bar and sample it out. I can serve it at a charity fundraiser event. Etc.

Not quite. While some states may still have bad laws, generally it's completely legal for almost all non-commercial uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homebrewing#Legality

Um. As an attorney, I strongly recommend against relying on wikipedia for legal advice. That article discusses state laws (as you do yourself above) while completely ignoring federal law (as you also do above). Check the federal law - which is valid in ALL states. Personal/family consumption only.

Um. As an attorney, I strongly recommend against relying on wikipedia for legal advice. That article discusses state laws (as you do yourself above) while completely ignoring federal law (as you also do above). Check the federal law - which is valid in ALL states. Personal/family consumption only.

You mean like how a lot of states ignore the federal law on allowing dispensaries to sell marijuana. I think the feds have better things to do than crack down on homebrew served at a wedding reception.

To be fair, you did serve them 6 samples of the same beer, from cans with different manufacturers ;)

Yes. If that's the joke.... LOL

One of each; Bud light, Miller Lite, Coors light and something like Natural light, Bush light, Milwaukee's Best light.

The premise was most people stated a loyalty to one brand or only liked one brand or that they got headaches.

That is rubbish. They get headaches from too much alcohol and/or the ingestion of cigarette smoke.

I would NOT serve it to a group of anonymous people just on the fact of being sued for the drunk who gets in a fight or an accident.

No Dram insurance.

As a not-a-lawyer who likes to be specific, I'd recomend that we look at the actual words: personal or family use. I would guess that the word use has a different meaning than the word consumption.

26 U.S. Code § 5053 - Exemptions
(e) Beer for personal or family use
Subject to regulation prescribed by the Secretary, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce beer for personal or family use and not for sale.

The TTB CFR expands on that (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/27/25.205)
§ 25.205 Production.
(a) Any adult may produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use and not for sale. An adult is any individual who is 18 years of age or older. If the locality in which the household is located requires a greater minimum age for the sale of beer to individuals, the adult shall be that age before commencing the production of beer. This exemption does not authorize the production of beer for use contrary to State or local law.
(b) The production of beer per household, without payment of tax, for personal or family use may not exceed:
(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are two or more adults residing in the household, or
(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only one adult residing in the household.
(c) Partnerships except as provided in § 25.207, corporations or associations may not produce beer, without payment of tax, for personal or family use.
(Sec. 201, Pub. L. 85-859, 72 Stat. 1334, as amended ( 26 U.S.C. 5053))

Additionally, the TTB specifically says in reference to something even a step farther, BOP facilities:
Adults who produce beer at a BOP may remove their beer for personal or family use, including use in organized affairs, exhibitions, or competitions (such as homemaker's contests or tastings);

I will personally make use of mine by sharing out tastes, not for sale, with people.

Now, it would be interesting if anyone wants to dig up any codified or case-law definitions of "use" if they exist in reference to these codes and regulations.

Dram Insurance...

The Basics of Liquor Liability Insurance

Most states have some variation of "dram shop laws," which allow for the recovery of damages from the establishment responsible for serving the intoxicated person who harmed a third party. For instance, if an intoxicated patron starts a fight in your client's bar, the victim could sue your client for their injuries and property damage.

In the worst cases, your client may even be sued for both civil and criminal damages, making Liquor Liability coverage an essential product for any establishment - such as a bar, grocery store, distillery, or restaurant - that sells, distributes, or manufactures alcohol.

Despite the protection afforded by Liquor Liability Insurance, experts estimate that only 35 percent of businesses that should have this coverage actually purchase it. Perhaps this is because they assume their General Liability policies cover alcohol-related incidents. While Liquor Liability can be packaged with GL, standard policies usually exclude liability coverage for alcohol-related events. Your client must pay for the extra coverage or purchase it as a standalone policy to be protected.

What Does Liquor Liability Cover?
As you already know, different policies include different coverages. In general, a Liquor Liability policy covers your client's court costs, witness and investigator fees, and settlements or judgments. It might also include..

Assault and battery coverage. Physical altercations are among most common incidents that tavern and nightclub owners face. Assault and battery coverage protects your client from the subsequent lawsuits and can be written for specific kinds of incidents (e.g., sexual assaults or shootings).

Defense coverage. Even frivolous claims require a lawyer. Some Liquor Liability policies will pay your client's legal defense costs when they face a lawsuit.

Intoxicated employee coverage. Employees sometimes drink on the job, even when it is against the rules. Some Liquor Liability policies cover the actions of intoxicated employees the same way they cover customers.

Off-premises coverage. If your client provides or sell liquor outside of their primary business location (e.g., catering an office party), they need off-premises coverage to ensure they are protected.

Mental damages coverage. Witnesses may bring a suit against your client for the psychological trauma of seeing a horrific alcohol-fueled accident. Mental damages coverage protects your clients against this kind of claim.

Safety training. Some carriers off free classes on how to recognize and refuse service to intoxicated patrons. Your clients could get a discount on their premium if they participate in their carrier's classes.

All Liquor Liability policies have one key exclusion. Lawsuits involving the sale of alcohol to minors are never covered. If your client sells alcohol to an underage drinker who then hurts someone, your client will not be covered in the lawsuit that follows.

Who Needs Liquor Liability?

Liquor Liability Insurance is a must for any business that sells, manufactures, or distributes alcohol. Even if your client isn't required to purchase Liquor Liability coverage to get a liquor license, they may find that certain contracts necessitate coverage. For example, your client's landlord might require Liquor Liability in their commercial lease.

Most snobs would fail in blind taste tests. Just like wine "experts" do.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jun/23/wine-tasting-junk-science-analysis

There's one issue I have with some of the studies that state people can't tell the difference between high-end and low-end wine...

Everyone has a different palate. And typically in the US, people are heavily biased towards sweeter flavors, which is quite different that the flavor a wine expert is probably biased towards.

Granted, this is changing, as people are increasingly moving towards coffees, dark chocolates, IPAs, and other bitter flavors. We're not as attuned to sweetness as a society as we used to be.

As I posted in another thread, I spent last weekend in Napa and Sonoma with my girlfriend. We ended up at ~10 different wineries during the course of the visit. Tasted a bunch of different wines from very good wineries across the price spectrum.

There really wasn't all that strong of a correlation between price and whether we liked it. Heck, we went to one awesome winery and tasted 5 Zinfandel from the same winery. Neither of us was impressed with their 2012 estate Zin. We both loved the 2013 and bought a bottle. Same vineyard, but different year, and yet the wines were VERY different, despite being the exact same price.

Wine magazines tend to love big oaky cabernet from Napa. My girlfriend likes those wines a lot. I like fruity Zinfandel from Sonoma. There were quite a few wines during our visit where she said "wow" and I was "meh", and vice versa.

But it doesn't surprise me when people prefer cheaper, sweeter, more bland mass-market wines, just as people prefer BMC and when they dabble in craft find themselves with blonde ales, amber ales, witbier, etc. And just as I'm a hardcore craft beer drinker who likes brutally bitter IPAs and loves sours, I don't go in for most barrel-aged beers [too oaky] or most imperial stouts [too sweet].

Give me a kolsch or over a Hunahpu any day of the week. Does that mean I can't tell the difference between cheap beer and expensive beer? No, it just means that I like what I like.

Dram Insurance...

That's interesting and makes sense to me why I'm required to provide a licensed bartender to serve any booze at the venues we've looked at for my impending wedding.

In fact, the venue we went with provides the staff and serves from their own bar. Which would make me think that we would no longer be liable since, we're not the ones serving the booze. We just provide homebrew to the bar and pay the venue to serve it to our guests. I'm sure they have insurance on that since they insist on being in charge. Not to mention they clearly state they will cut off your guests right quick if they're getting stumbly bumbly. :tank:

Everyone has a different palate.

As I posted in another thread, I spent last weekend in Napa and Sonoma with my girlfriend.

There really wasn't all that strong of a correlation between price and whether we liked it.

I never could find low priced Cabernets and Chardonnays that I really liked (back when I drank wine almost exclusively). There were some that "would do", since I didn't want my wine bill to be more than my mortgage.

At the same time, I was disappointed in some higher-priced wine I tasted in Napa. Which may be a good thing. I'd still like to go back someday.

Early last year, on a trip to Barcelona, I was amazed at how good even the very low-priced wines were, especially since I was never that successful finding great Spanish wines in the USA. But then I found a pub just a few blocks from my hotel selling Belgian beer for about 4 Euros a bottle. So I reverted back to beer drinking.

BTW, I'm usually available for blind taste tests. Especially if the samples are of generous size.

So I just started brewing and I told a co worker about it. His reaction was the following: "Oh, that's awesome! You'll have to let me know how that goes. You think you could make something that tastes like Miller Lite?"
:(:mad:

Depending on how close the friend is, I've told them sure and handed them a bottle of water. :D

That's interesting and makes sense to me why I'm required to provide a licensed bartender to serve any booze at the venues we've looked at for my impending wedding.

In fact, the venue we went with provides the staff and serves from their own bar. Which would make me think that we would no longer be liable since, we're not the ones serving the booze. We just provide homebrew to the bar and pay the venue to serve it to our guests. I'm sure they have insurance on that since they insist on being in charge. Not to mention they clearly state they will cut off your guests right quick if they're getting stumbly bumbly. :tank:

Unless you're serving a Three Philosophers Clone as one of those beers! :drunk:

Not following what part is illegal... brewing is legal, most places the host can provide free beer(if the venue allows it)...

Homebrewing is definitely legal. Selling it...not so much. Nor is providing it at a venue that has a liquor license. I WILL be bringing my own brew to my own daughter's wedding next month, but only to the rehearsal and with a picnic tap. I can borrow one of my buddy's kegs if I need to (licensed brewery) but only if I can prove the beer was brewed in a licensed brewery. Also crossing state lines (WA to ID). I don't want to take the risk. Still want to get the stupid neighbor for something though. I've called WA state HUD but didn't get a response. Imagine that!

Homebrewing is definitely legal. Selling it...not so much. Nor is providing it at a venue that has a liquor license. I WILL be bringing my own brew to my own daughter's wedding next month, but only to the rehearsal and with a picnic tap. I can borrow one of my buddy's kegs if I need to (licensed brewery) but only if I can prove the beer was brewed in a licensed brewery. Also crossing state lines (WA to ID). I don't want to take the risk. Still want to get the stupid neighbor for something though. I've called WA state HUD but didn't get a response. Imagine that!

I live in SW Wisconsin; my daughter's wedding was April First (no foolin!) and we had the reception in Dubuque, IA at the Hotel Julien.

They categorically would not serve my homebrew to guests. We had an open beer and wine bar, and you'd have thought they'd be happy to serve something that cost them nothing, since we'd paid a flat fee per guest. But no.

It was something to do with the distributor, so they said. Sure.

How'd I get around that? We had a suite just 50 feet from the ballroom where the bar was (and dinner was served). I stocked that with homebrew and other libations, had family and friends there, and that was that. It was a private suite in which we could do what anyone in any other hotel room could do. I'm not certain, but I think some of those beers made their way into the ballroom in opaque cups. :)

Good luck and enjoy the wedding! I sure did.

I live in SW Wisconsin; my daughter's wedding was April First (no foolin!) and we had the reception in Dubuque, IA at the Hotel Julien.

They categorically would not serve my homebrew to guests. We had an open beer and wine bar, and you'd have thought they'd be happy to serve something that cost them nothing, since we'd paid a flat fee per guest. But no.

How'd I get around that? We had a suite just 50 feet from the ballroom where the bar was (and dinner was served). I stocked that with homebrew and other libations, had family and friends there, and that was that. It was a private suite in which we could do what anyone in any other hotel room could do. I'm not certain, but I think some of those beers made their way into the ballroom in opaque cups. :)

Best of luck to your daughter. I got married to my first wife on April 1 myself. Can't say I recommend it.

I have stopped bringing up the fact that I homebrew unless someone specifically comments on it or has a deeper passion for craft beer than the average bear.

Most of the typical responses have been well documented in this thread, but the one that gets my goat is when people ask my wife if she likes my homebrew and she replies with something to the effect of, "Yeah, but I don't drink it very much because his cleanliness standards aren't up to mine".

My wife is an administrator for child youth services on a military installation and has to take all of the FDA food preparation courses...so since I brew in the garage where there is dust and open access for bugs, she thinks my beer has all kinds of crap in it. I've literally never had an infection....whatever, more beer for me!

I have stopped bringing up the fact that I homebrew unless someone specifically comments on it or has a deeper passion for craft beer than the average bear.

Most of the typical responses have been well documented in this thread, but the one that gets my goat is when people ask my wife if she likes my homebrew and she replies with something to the effect of, "Yeah, but I don't drink it very much because his cleanliness standards aren't up to mine".

My wife is an administrator for child youth services on a military installation and has to take all of the FDA food preparation courses...so since I brew in the garage where there is dust and open access for bugs, she thinks my beer has all kinds of crap in it. I've literally never had an infection....whatever, more beer for me!

There is only one thing to do for you.... Brew her something with wild fermentation :D

Best of luck to your daughter. I got married to my first wife on April 1 myself. Can't say I recommend it.

april 1st marriage here as well. (2000)

I happily distribute my beer for tasting, but I normally don't get annoying responses, or negative responses. (and between 2016-current, at 41 different beers brewed)

Thanks! We're doing something similar but just at the rehearsal. Since I doubt we're going to go through an entire keg at the rehearsal, I may just have the keg in a trash can filled with ice in the back seat of our car at the reception; if anyone cares to step outside and have some, it'll be there and the venue can't say squat as long as they don't bring it inside.

Thanks! We're doing something similar but just at the rehearsal. Since I doubt we're going to go through an entire keg at the rehearsal, I may just have the keg in a trash can filled with ice in the back seat of our car at the reception; if anyone cares to step outside and have some, it'll be there and the venue can't say squat as long as they don't bring it inside.

You can invite the Hunchbach of Notre Dame! Just have the party tap coming out of his jacket sleeve! LOL

View attachment 1499554316140.jpg

I once told my mom that I had a couple batches of wine (12 gallons) of wine I needed to bottle. She asked me "What are you going to do with all that wine; become a wino?" I patiently explained that you don't drink it all in one sitting & no, I wasn't standing on the corner, sipping wine from a bottle in a brown paper bag. Mom doesn't get anything I make, be it beer, wine, mead, or cider. She wouldn't like it anyway, she's told me, and I quote: "I like that Mogen David." <sigh>
Regards, GF.

When people decline my homebrew, mead or wine, I just cheerfully say or think "more for me to enjoy". Your mom's taste in wine reminds be of the Frazier episode when the brothers mixed table sugar into a couple glasses to make it taste like Manoshievetz. My mom liked sweet stuff too. :confused:

My dad rarely drank beer, when he did it was cans of Miller High Life(ice cold) when he was doing yard work or fishing. But he was always open to trying my homebrews, he especially liked my brown ales and porters.
BTW I do have a cider on tap that is so dry I even put a sugar cube in the glass before I fill it.

My dad rarely drank beer, when he did it was cans of Miller High Life(ice cold) when he was doing yard work or fishing. But he was always open to trying my homebrews, he especially liked my brown ales and porters.
BTW I do have a cider on tap that is so dry I even put a sugar cube in the glass before I fill it.

This was my Dad too, except he liked Heineken. We brew a brown ale that he loved - in fact it's now called "Lloyd's Brown Ale" in his honor. He bragged on us making that beer to anyone who would stand still long enough to listen to him, LOL! Lost him at age 91, last November. I still have an ear to the phone waiting for him to call as he did every day, sometimes multiple times.

Miss you, Dad!

As for annoying responses, my least favorite and most often heard is "isn't it just easier to go BUY some beer?"

I just got "are you any good yet?"

I'm mildly offended but I know they meant well. I enjoyed most of my batches so far and I'm always improving.

People always ask how much beer I make. I tell them I make five gallons a month, and currently have fifty gallons stored in my cellar.
They always respond, "Wow! You must drink a lot of beer!"
And I say, "Nope. If I drank as fast as I brew, it wouldn't all still be in my cellar."

Back