I want more head!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriot

Reaction score
Ok, all jokes aside.

Really, I think because I live at sea level, the head from my brewing just doesn't seem to be as good as I want it. I do get some decent foam, but for some reason, it doesn't seem to be the rich tiny bubble-like lather that one would expect from a quality home brew.

Now, here's my idea. I normally use 3/4 cup corn sugar for bottling my 5gal batches. I'm thinking if I went with say, an additional 1/8 cup, to make it 7/8 cup corn sugar, then the yeast would produce a little more CO2. Of course, I would probably want to let it sit for additional 2-3 days when bottling.

Is this a good idea if I want a little more CO2 in my beer?

Is it safe to do this? I don't want to overcarbonate and have exploding bottles, or foaming over glasses when poured.

How long do you usually wait before getting into your brews? They really do get much better after 4 weeks. I try to let mine sit at at least 70° for this period because if it is cooler it will slow things down.

I don't think adding 1\8 cup more will neccessarily bring the results your looking for but then I don't think it will cause bottle bombs either if fermentation is complete.

I do notice after 2 weeks it has a decent froth developing, and yes after 4 weeks is best.

My basement is cool, about 62F.

However, I may often have some bottles sitting for up to 6 weeks before chilling and drinking. In the long run, it isn't quite as good as I wish it was.

If I try, it won't do anything catastrophic if I add another 1/8 cup, will it?

How cold do you drink the beer? The warmer the temperature the more CO2 will be released when you open it.

I think 62 might be too cool. Maybe try putting them some where it is closer to 70.

I used tp prime w/ 1 full cup, no bombs. Now I prime with about 7/8 cups just because I like my beer really carbed. It won't increase head retention, though. Just how many bubbles....

Try adding a little wheat to the recipe.

Your equipment doesn't go thru the dishwasher with a rinse agent, does it? This will break up the protiens that create the head. The glasses will have the same affect if they run thru as well.

My equipment and glasses rarely touch soap. Scrub with hot water and air dry before anything can dry up and harden on them.
If you are getting lots of bubble formation in the glasses, they aren't clean.

No rinse agent.

Wheat MDE. I'll have to look into that. That may be something I'll try next time. Thanks. :)

Latest posts

Back