Catching Right Time For Diactyl Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
ON my first Lager. Everything is going very well. It's day 7, and my airlock is bubbling at about once very 5-7 seconds, so it has slowed.

From everything I've read, I want to do a Diactyl rest at 10 degrees higher than my fermentation temp 10 days after intial fermentation or when the fermentation has slowed.

From what I gathered, do you have to catch it at that exact timeframe? If you say do the Rest after fermentation is done, or too soon, will this have any effect? I hope my train of thought is clear.......

Time is never a good predictor for fermentation completion. Too many variables, and thus impossible to predict when to do a D-rest. The best way is to do as you have and notice when fermentation has slowed a little. Then take gravity readings until you reach about 75% of fermentation. That's when I raise the temp by 10F.

Back