Beersmith Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teromous

Beer Gnome
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, this software looks amazing but I'm battling through some of the settings. I'm trying to re-create an extract batch that I made just to get a feel for the software.

I have 3 hops and spice additions, one at 60min boil, one at 15min, and one at 1min (flame out). I'm not sure how to get these into 3 different sections, one for each time...and have the time on the left side of the screen. If I set them to boil, they are all in the same category. Should the 60 and 15 both be set to boil? I mean they show up on the same line. Also I set the 1min hops to aroma and they show up in a "steep-hops" category, but there is no option for "aroma" in spices. It would make the brew sheet very confusing to have the 60min 15min and 1min boils on top then have some hops on the bottom listed as aroma.

Also I know the brew sheet includes a lot of extra stuff, but it doesn't state to heat the water before steeping specialty grains. I know this should be implied but is there a way for me to add this instruction to the sheet?

Thanks for any help guys, I know it's a big mess but I'm trying to tackle this beast.

Not sure I can answer your exact question. But for hop additions when I'm plugging in my ingredients, I select the hop, set it for "boil" under Hop Use, and set the time for 60min or 30min or whatever. There is a "dry hop" choice if that is what you are doing with the hops.

I'm only starting to really understand Beersmith and all its facets. I've been using it for 9 months lol.

Yeah basically what I want to do is instead of having "Boil for 60 min" then having 60, 15, and 1 min boils in that category...make 3 blocks, one for each boil. Because to me it looks a bit confusing to have a hop addition @ 15min listed in the block that says "Boil for 60 min". I know that it goes in at 15min but I didn't want it to be confusing if I gave this recipe to a friend.

Also the first section confuses me...it's an extract brew where you add 2.5 gallons of water. The thing looks like this:
Prepare Water (5.83 gal total)
Amount Item Type
2.50 gal Local Water Water

Why does it say 5.83? When I brewed this I don't believe I used that much water, even when adding water to bring the total volume to 5 gal. Also there is no step that says to heat the water to 160 degrees and steep for 30 min. Is there a way to add extra brewing steps? I looked but I can't find instruction on it.

Again thanks for any help you can provide.

As for the Hops issue, make sure there are 3 entries for hops in the ingredients list.

This is just a guess, but double check your equipment setting, it may still be thinking your set for a full boil.

Latest posts

Back