Critique this please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
I've been looking at recipe after recipe for a session beer. Finally, I'm sick of looking at recipes. What might I get if I just threw this together--lets assume I average about 75% to 80% efficiency on any given day, because I typically do...

7# Maris Otter
10 oz 20L Crystal Malt

Mash Schedule: 80 min at 150 degrees F

Hop Schedule:
1 oz Cascade at start of boil (60 to 75 min boil)
1 oz Cascade near end of boil (2 min left to go.

Yeast:
Nottingham

Ferment: 11 days then bottle at house temp - 70 degrees.

I pulled that off the top of my head based on ingredients I own--I don't get paid for another week, won't be buying anymore ingredients for another week, and I will brew a session tomorrow or this evening. My inventory is more than ample to throw something together (below).

What might my OG be assuming 75 to 80% efficiency?

Also, please critique even to the point of brutal honesty as this would be my first recipe. I'm open to suggestions of altering pounds of grain and other grains and hops within the limits of what I actually have. But I want a light ale with some hops but NOT IPA hoppy. I also want a beer I drink more than 3 of--lets target about 4% ABV. I like American Ale and English Ale profiles. Here's my inventory:

GRAINS:
Marris Otter - enough for two more brews
Roasted Barley (1 to 2#)
Crystal Malt (20L, 40L, 80L, 1 to 2# of each)
Flaked Barley (1#)
Oats (1#)
Chocolate Malt (1#)

HOPS
Perle (1/2 oz)
Simcoe (2oz)
East Kent Goldings (1oz)
Cascade (2oz)

YEAST
Nottingham (British Ale type)
SafeAle (American Ale Type)

BeerSmith says your OG will be 1.043-1.046 assuming 75-80%. I don't know enough about forming recipes to critique yours, sounds like it will be a nice easy drinking beer.

Sounds like a good beer, that's a recipe you can't go wrong with. I would let it sit in the primary longer than 11 days though. At least 3 weeks, and crash cool it for a couple days if you can.

Your Maris Otter, with some Crystal 80 and 1/2# of chocolate would make a nice Brown, and hop it with your EKG's. Or you have plenty of stuff for an Oatmeal Stout as well, But I would assume since you have those grains on hand you've probably done all that already.

Okay, I just realized that I ground in a pound of the crystal malt--really was not thinking. Have not yet mashed. Quick help, How might this end?

Should I grind in more malted barley to make it up, mix, then weigh what I'm using and save the rest? Or should I just go with it?

Edit: Nevermind. Fortunately my LHBS people are really knowledgable. I remembered they were still open and called them. Keystone Home Brew in Bethlehem. I'll let you all know how this turns out in a few hours and then a month or so from now...

Originally got 1.044 for gravity. Had to add previously boiled and cooled water to hit a gravity of 1.040.

Just bottled it. Taste is pretty much what I expect at this point. Will know more in 2 - 3 weeks.

So, my OG when I pitched was adjusted to 1.040 with previously boiled and cooled water. My FG was 1.003.

That's roughly 4.7% ABV, right?

Update: It's a smooth, easy drinking beer so far. It has a good foamy head when poured, and the hops are present but not overpowering. My friend who came over this evening gave it between 6 and 7 out of 10 for taste.

In short, I will make this again. I will also try a batch of it incorporating some of the Simcoe as suggested.

I wonder what one to two more weeks in the bottles will do for it...

Anyone know what results I'd get if I tried the next one of these with Briess American 2-row for the base malt?

Latest posts

Back