WYEAST STRAIN: 3278 Fermentation Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyvail

Reaction score
About three months ago I started a "quick lambic", I use the term Lambic loosely. The primary fermentation of a basic wheat beer was normal, krausen formed, fell and a couple of weeks later I transferred to a secondary with two cans of cherry puree. Two weeks later I transferred to a tertiray and I am getting a different type of "scum" on the top. It looks like dust(white to gray color) and is forming half bubbles on the surface, very thin overall. Now I know that this strain from wyeast has bacteria in the culture and I am supposing the scum is from the bacteria. SO my question is: Does this sound normal???
If it smells and tastes fine should I bottle. I am worried if I bottled this would I make grenades??

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a pellicle is beginning to form. Let it alone- you're in for the long haul with a lambic, I'm afraid. The bugs will chew very slowly and you need to let them finish- and that is going to take 6 months, but likely double that.

I am using that same yeast too. My Kriek is starting with a clean neutral ale yeast for the first week then I will pitch the Wyeast 3278. I plan on a year with this yeast then rack onto the cherry's for another 6 months.

Thanks for letting me know about the term pellicle!!! Searching the forum took care of the rest!! Now worries now, just alot more patience.

Thanks flyangler18!!!:mug:

Back