First Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been brewing from kits for a few years, and yesterday I racked and bottled my draught.
I then proceeded to transfer my lager to the secondary fermenter.

I have been reading about lager this morning since I have never made one before and everything I read says I should have fermented the lager at a low temp like 12c ! (55f)... is this true??
The kit says to go 21c - 25c (around 72f - 75f) which is what I did.

Is the kit wrong?
Did I ruin this beer?
Will it taste yucky?

any advise is appreciated,
Cheers

What was the recipe and the yeast? True lager yeasts need to work at 11-13C (mid 50sF). If you had a beer kit including yeast chances are it was ale yeast even though the kit label said "lager".

Beer Makers brand Australian Lager...
not a premium brand, no indication on the contents at all i.e. bitterness etc.
it just reads in the instructions to go 21 - 25 degrees C, and it came with the packet of yeast.. so yeah, I would think you are probably right. It is likely that it was Ale yeast.

time will tell. Any idea what this is gonnna turn out like? more like a very light Ale than a lager I guess...

Yes, a light ale/blonde ale/cream ale is what you would have rather than a true lager. Ale yeasts leave some residual sugars and produce more esters than lager yeasts so the beer will have some of those subtle characteristics.

Back