Ammonia and Iodine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
I have one cleaning bucket and it is stained yellow with iodine. I want to use ammonia to get the labels off from my bottles and clean the crud out of the bottom as I have a few bottles that none of the following will remove: water jet fixture, bottle brush, bleach soaking, oxiclean soaking, hot water with soap soaking.

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Story Index - Cleaning/Sanitation - The Great Bottle Cleaning Shootout

Apparently, it works for the most caked on mold there is and should be a solution to my problem. Before I go mixing this ammonia in my cleaning bucket I'm wondering if any of you have any experience with this. I read (and saw on youtube) that ammonia and idiodine can make an explosive mixture (i.e.; touch powder), especially when dry.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1s6_cPLjF0]Nitrogen triiodide (touch powder) - YouTube[/ame]

I don't want the bucket blowing up in my face. Is there any danger here? Or, as long as I rinse this thing out and dump it down the drain with lots of water everything will be ok?

aquious ammonia in the low concentrations available in the common cleaning products will not make anything explosive when combined with iodine in concentrations as low as used in sanitizing. you need anhydrous ammonia and atleast relatively pure iodine (much more than a few hundred PPM).
Is there any danger here?
nope

Back