Made a American Wheat last night did something different.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
Hi again...

Well I made about 11gallons of an American Wheat last night and did something a little bit different than I usually do when I make these refreshing summer beers.

I almost always use corriander in larger doses so for 11 gallons i used about 1oz ground up.
I always use lemon zest... I did about 1 large lemon and 2 small ones for this...

I throw this all in at about 5 minutes left in the boil...

What i tried this time might not do anything but please just reassure me on it.

At flame out I added the juice of those lemons to the brew kettle. I tasted the final wort product after cooling... I can taste lemon but more so the corriander /blueberry flavor.

Any harm in this?

will do... Should be good I imagine. I did a similar recipe last year but it was extract of Am wheat and I did not include so many hops or the lemon juice...

We shall see!

The acidity of citrus is not very hospitable to bacteria so even if you added after wort dropped below 180 I would think you're okay. The only thing that could see as a potential problem is that if you separate your wort into two carboys and did not mix the juice, you might get a bit more in one carboy than the other.

Back