Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe American said:
My Brewery is "Monster in the Closet", 'cause that's where I first started fermentation my first time.
I'm still working on a logo that isn't too cartoonish.

You need something like the Arrogant Bastard logo -

cornerlogo.gif

Currently mine is called the Cheesebox Brewery as I use a large cheese box to raise the height of my mashtun and boil pot to facilitate siphoning. Now that I have a pump I haven't been using the cheesebox so I'm contemplating a new name.

My basement bar is called the Pulley Bar as I have a bunch of old wooden pulleys as decoration including a behemoth old barn pulley with double 12" rollers and a massive metal hook that probably weight 20 lbs by itself.

I recently jumped back into brewing after a long (7+ years) hiatus.

I originally called my brewery "Burntfinger Brewing", because I scorched a finger pouring my first-ever brew into the ubiquitous primary bucket.

I'm toying with a switch to "Hogback Brewing", after a locally-famous geological feature (Dakota Ridge, or the Morrison Hogback) near my home.

dak04.jpg

A tracing of this might make a nice label.

I am still debating between a two names.

Melvin Rooter Brewing Co
My grandpa always wanted my name to be Melvin after him, but my folks said no. He always called me "Ryan James Melvin Rooter Talley". I have no idea what the "Rooter" was about... He died on December 31st a few years ago shortly before midnight. We always had a real strong bond and he loved his beer (Budweiser). He was even buried with an unopened can of Bud.:cross:

Bottom Drawer Brewing
Because when I was in high school I would always pull out the bottom drawer on my dresser and stash my beer and booze there......til my mom found my stash! :eek:

The only thing is that I'ver also started to make mead and experiment with some wine, so I don't think that "Brewing" really covers all the apsects of my beer/wine/mead making.

I really like how Cap'n Jewbeard named his: Captain Jewbeard's Fine Fermenteds.

Any suggestions?

Prince of Ales Nanobrewery and Garage Pub!We live on Prince of Wales Island in S.E.Alaska.I kinda stole the nanobrewery part from David_42(sorry Dave).
seal.gif
[/IMG]

Cheers:mug:

Bare Bones Brewery. Just have enough stuff to do it. although slowly accumulating more equip. The wife started me with a bare bones kit and hence the name. But definetly love the hobby,,,obsession?

I decided to go with Block 49 Brewing.

I wanted to do something very American or something from my family history. I am an ancestry fanatic and my Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather was part of the first pioneer wagon train to enter the Utah valley. He was actually shot in the Hauns Mill Massacre and one of the few that lived. He later died from complications of that wound several years later being the first pioneer to die in the Utah territory. His burial place was a controversy some thought he was buried here and others thought he was buried there. Then in 1987 they were building a apartment building on Block 49 and found the remains of my grandfather and a few other early pioneers. The memorial is called Block 49 and I thought a good tribute to him and my family... (littered with home brewers and moonshiners)

strohs said:
Wow, where is that? Thats awesome

That's looking South on Dakota Ridge from somewhere between the I-70 road cut and Red Rocks ampitheater, on the extreme West side of Denver.

The city of Denver is about 6-7 miles East (left) of this view. The real mountains begin about 6-7 miles to the right. My home is ~ 3 miles from this point.

BNVince said:
Bungadil Brewery

The name just popped in my head one day. Weird.

To me it sounds like the name of some pub in Middle Earth where hobbits get hammered off of huge ales.

I guess that's pretty dumb. I shouldn't have told you guys that.

The Hammered Hobbit. Good beer bar name:fro:

Since it is my Brother in Law and me. He is about 300 plus pounds and myself about 280. Big boy brewery just seemed to fit

I'm currently thinking about calling it St-Laurent, or something based on that, after the St-Lawrence river, which runs from the Great Lakes to the Atlantic Ocean. I live just south of it, and the entire supply of water for the city comes from the river (after having been treated). I would have to start using only tap water (currently use sanitized bottled water) which would require me to boil all of it (they put chlorine something or other in the water).

I had also been thinking on a play on the city name in which I live (Longueuil, which comes from "long" and "oeil", misspelled of course) but I haven't really found anything interesting that is somewhat bilingual (sounding equally well in French and English).

Another idea was the street on which I live on (Montarville) but as I haven't found the etymology of "Montar" yet... I don't know how well that one would go.

I'm sure something will come to me eventually...

I spent 8 years in the US Navy and my brother retired with 25+, so coming up with a name was somewhat simple for us. We wrestled with a couple of names using "sailor" before our wives added the "Drunken". ( Not quite sure what they were trying to say) but we liked it. The logo, however, took a little more thought.

Deacon Brews

The name came while listening to a Steely Dan tune.

"They got a name for the winners in the world,
I want a name when I lose,
Alabama has the Crimson Tide,
Call me Deacon Brews!"

Why Deacon - well, I'm a deacon at the church I attend.

No labels yet or names for my brews yet, but I would love the use the Demon Deacon from Wake Forest in the logo, but I'm sure that's copyrighted - but something along those lines!

Revolving Door Brewery- Upon moving to NJ, my wife and I hit Manhattan to play tourist. At Rockefeller center, the revolving doors have clear glass walls, which I did not notice, so I slammed into the wall trying to exit the door. I fell down, got a huge welt on my forehead, and added some laughs to everyone's day. My wife thinks it's the funniest thing she's ever seen. Also, I have some cool label ideas with the revolving door. Lastly, I'll likely never brew the same batch twice in a row, so the beer lineup will be a revolving door.

Grains of Wrath Brewery

After the Bad Religion song, and my wife says's I'm a generally angry person. We haven't brewed yet, but we do have a logo.

Prima Brewing Co.

I love the music of Louis Prima, he was the voice of king Louie in Jungle Book so I'm working on a logo with an orangutan in the center.

Bill said:
Prima Brewing Co.

I love the music of Louis Prima, he was the voice of king Louie in Jungle Book so I'm working on a logo with an orangutan in the center.

Wow. I saw Sam Butera about 5 years ago.
You should check out Louis Jordan. You probably already knew that though!

olllllo said:
Wow. I saw Sam Butera about 5 years ago.
You should check out Louis Jordan. You probably already knew that though!

Love Sam Butera, not really familiar with Louis Jordan, I'll have to check him out after work.

Thanks for the tip

Has anyone heard of Olde Frothingslosh brewery, apparently they make a beer so light that it floats on top of the bubbles.

Joe American said:
My Brewery is "Monster in the Closet", 'cause that's where I first started fermentation my first time.
I'm still working on a logo that isn't too cartoonish.

danversbogeyman.jpg

cnbudz said:
Knucklehead Brewery, it's partly a reference to my favorite Red Sox pitcher, Tim Wakefield who is a knuckleballer and part reference to my ability to constantly do stupid things... Yeah, I know, not a very impressive story...

Just noticed. Love the name.

I went with Van Hoppy Brewing Co. I'm a huge Van Halen fan and I love me the hops! I felt it was fitting.

Well I've changed, again. Cellar603 became Ye Olde Scrote, at the prodding of my older brother. But the wife will not let me keep it. She hates it. Not that I'm a slave to her or anything, but things just tend to go a little more smoothly when I refrain from doing things that she absolutely hates. A reference to the coin purse in my brewery name is one of those things. So, Ye Olde Scrote will be relegated to the name of one of my recipes, and my new brewery name is Moss Hollow Brewing Co. It's the name of the "hollow" where I grew up, and I love the place...even if it is being developed by bastards who have no taste, and enjoy slaughtering my childhood memories of growing up on a farm by subdividing the cow fields into new home lots. :mad:

So the original Moss Hollow will live on. And I'm not changing it again. I promise. :mug:

evans5150 said:
I went with Van Hoppy Brewing Co. I'm a huge Van Halen fan and I love me the hops! I felt it was fitting.

I was going to use "Van Alein' Brown Sound" as the name of my Brown Ale, but decided not to when I went with the "Third World Brewing" thing..... feel free to steal it if you like.

Allan

howlinowl said:
I was going to use "Van Alein' Brown Sound" as the name of my Brown Ale, but decided not to when I went with the "Third World Brewing" thing..... feel free to steal it if you like.

Allan

Holy Crap, that's awesome!!

I've actually decided today, after further review, to change my name to Thunder Mountain Brewing Co. I made my logo and used Eddie's Frankenstrat but he has a pretty tight trademark on the striped design. In case I SOMEDAY decide to sell my brews I want something that won't be questionable. I like Thunder Mountain (the street I live on) because I can incorporate nature a bit more into my beer names.

I came up with Shaved Goat Brewing one day at work. I came up with a ghetto label for a few bottles of mead Im sending to my family. Just wondering how it sounds?

bigjon88 said:
I came up with Shaved Goat Brewing one day at work. I came up with a ghetto label for a few bottles of mead Im sending to my family. Just wondering how it sounds?

Not a bad name, just not very appetizing :D

I am temporarily claiming "Three Bucket Brewing" for now if no one objects. I travel a lot, instead of a real job I work sequential 13 week contracts. I have three buckets, a 20qt SS lobster pot that I use for mashing and as a brew kettle. I also have a bottling bucket that is about to be a part time lauter tun, and my primary bucket does double duty as a grant. All my crap has to get loaded up in my car every three months so I can move somewhere else... Plus I got a glass carboy too.

I would like to also temporarily reserve "double duty brewing", but I'll sell it cheap if you have a hankering ;-)

Best Butthead voice, "DD brews, cool."

jerseydevilbrewerypw9.jpg

Jersey Devil Brewing Co.

I was a NJ Devils season ticket holder until I moved up to Connecticut. Being Jersey born and raised helped as well. Here is a look at what a bottle label would look like:

neutralzonetrappistqh7.jpg

Thoughts?

Back