bottled beer going flat fast in glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
Just opened first bottle of my foreign extra stout and I have a question.

First, background info: OG: 1060, FG: 1013. Primed with Light DME 3 weeks ago and has been in the dark at about 68-70 deg since.

Ok, now the question: when I poured this beer, it initially had a good 1/5 inch head on it. The head stuck around for about 5 min and then the beer basically went flat over the next 10 or 15 min while allowing it to come up from fridge temps to ~50 deg... is this an indication that its not done carbing yet?... or is there some other reason for this?

I dont remember having beer go flat that quickly in the past.

hope that makes sense.

Based on experience, I would blame it on the light DME used for priming. I primed with DME once and found that the carbonation was there but weak and easily disssipated. Try corn sugar - you won't notice a difference in taste - especially in a stout.

Stouts have taken me between 4-8 weeks to fully carb, if it's not holding carb it doesn't have enough co2 in solution yet....just check back in a couple more weeks.

Stouts have taken me between 4-8 weeks to fully carb, if it's not holding carb it doesn't have enough co2 in solution yet....just check back in a couple more weeks.

thats kinda what I was thinking, but the good head threw me off.

lol.. thats what she said. (sorry, I couldnt resist).

thanks revvy.

Back