Braggot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsrstka

Reaction score
After trying a wonderful braggot that a friend of mine brewed, I have decided to try one of my own. So...

I have a "irish redish" ale in primary fermentation now. It's about 5 gallons at an original gravity of about 1.062. I tossed a "smack pack" of Wyeast 1098 Brittish Ale yeast. I have never seen a beer ferment so quickly! It was at or near high kreusen in less than 24 hours and has already slowed down tremendously! I hopped it a little more strongly than I had intended, but not overpoweringly so. I thought that I would try to morph this into a braggot mid-stream. I've got 5 lbs of wildflower honey that I intend to add to it. Would it be better to add the honey toward the end of the primary fermentation or the secondary?

Or would it be OK to add the honey into the secondary with a dose wine or champagne yeast? If I add 5 lbs of honey with a half gallon of water that should push the OG up to about 1.085. This would put the potential alcohol by volume above the 1098's tolerance, so I was thinking that I could throw a wine yeast or something at it to chew the remaining sugar off. Perhaps the Lalvin K1V-1116?

I appreciate any feedback guys!

Thanks,
Nick

1098 should have about 75% attenuation on the beer portion. So, your 1.085 braggot shouldn't go down to 1.000. I think it would end up in the teens (1.015?). This should give you a little over 9% ABV which should be ok for 1098. Good luck.

Back