How dose temp affect aging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilv4xn

Reaction score
I made my first batch two weeks ago its an Oatmeal Stout. Kegged it last night while I brewed my second batch a summer brew. What's the best way to store the keg I put some pressure on it to set the seal. I am over excited to hit it with CO2 and start drinking it. but I know that another week will only help the flavor. Should I leave it in the house at mid 70's temp or put it in the keg fridge for a week?
I guess the big question here is:
How does temperature affect aging?

If I were you, I would purge the heck out of the keg and make sure you don't have a lot of oxygen in there. That'll be bad for the beer while you wait on it. Hit it with the CO2 and then purge the gas and oxygen back through your pressure relief valve on top of the keg....that is if you have a ball lock. I don't have pin lock kegs so I can't comment on how to bleed pressure. I know that my LHBS always advocates putting your keg in some sort of refrigeration while you are carbonating. The CO2 likes it cold.

I'm not sure if I answered your question adequately, but I hope I helped.

purging is something I did not do last night. I will do that now. I am not going to carb it for another week unless it will still age properly carbonated and in the fridge.
(if its carb'd and cold I doubt it will age)LOL

If you throw 10-15 lbs on the keg after purging and leave it there for four or five days, it will be nicely carbonated. As for aging, as long as there isn't any oxygen, it should do nicely. I have also read where if you can introduce a 60/40 combination of CO2 and Nitrogen to the keg while carbonating, the nitrogen really helps with the creamy head for your stout.

I'm not a huge stout fan so I've never tried it, but based on how a stout is poured, it makes perfect sense.

I leave many of my kegs outside the fridge hooked up to about 30 psi. Then a week before I want to drink them, I put them in the fridge on 12 psi. There is a conversion chart online, but 30 psi @ 70 degrees is about 12 psi @ 40 degrees.

I leave many of my kegs outside the fridge hooked up to about 30 psi. Then a week before I want to drink them, I put them in the fridge on 12 psi. There is a conversion chart online, but 30 psi @ 70 degrees is about 12 psi @ 40 degrees.

Same here.

First thing I do when I get beer into the keg is hit it with 30 pounds of CO2. This will seal the top and ensure it doesn't leak. Then, I bleed it off and do it again. I repeat this about 4 times. CO2 is heavier than oxygen so by doing this, I'm purging all of the oxygen from the keg (in theory). Then, let it age at room temp if you'd like. I'd leave 15 to 20 pounds in there when I put it away but that's just me.

You don't have to put it in the fridge to force carb it. But, CO2 is more readily absorbed at lower temperatures. That means it will take less pressure to force carb your beer if it's colder. There are temperature vs. pressure graphs for this online that you can use as a guide for achieving the desired volume of carbonation.

:mug:

What I am really after is. Is there a end flavor difference between a week in a secondary followed by a week of carb in a keg VS carb in a keg for two weeks in the fridge.

Back