List of Top Cropping yeast strains (input needed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I'm looking to compile a list of all tried-and-true top cropping yeast strains. Most short explanations of strains on Wyeast or White Labs sites do not always tell whether or not the yeast is a true top cropper or not. This characteristic is really convenient for my brewery set up and I am sure others would like to have this resource as well. Let me know the top croppers you've used.

Updated list

WLP022 Essex
WLP037 Yorkshire Square
WLP038 Manchester
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II
Wyeast 1318 London Ale III

Wyeast 1318 (the Boddington's strain) is reportedly a true top-cropper. I plan to use it for my next few batches. I'll be happy to report back when I do. The next brew day should be either this weekend or next.

I don't understand. Can someone clear this up for me, as I'm trying to develop my method as we speak.

1) Won't all yeast provide some krausen for cropping - depending on your collection method? I know some produce more foam than others, but if you collect it, then.... (leading to my next question)

2) Won't you train your yeast to be a top cropper in a couple generations if you collect that way? That's what I have read at least.

My way is to use corny tubes of different lengths. If I'm expecting to have a low foam, I can just use a longer dip tube. Even put it within a few inches of the beer line.

I don't understand. Can someone clear this up for me, as I'm trying to develop my method as we speak.

1) Won't all yeast provide some krausen for cropping - depending on your collection method? I know some produce more foam than others, but if you collect it, then.... (leading to my next question)

2) Won't you train your yeast to be a top cropper in a couple generations if you collect that way? That's what I have read at least.

My way is to use corny tubes of different lengths. If I'm expecting to have a low foam, I can just use a longer dip tube. Even put it within a few inches of the beer line.

Corny tube is your method that works for you. Skimming is a characteristic that is really attractive to me for the ease of use. Krausen doesn't necessarily yield healthy top cropping yeast. Some yeasts might produce a krausen of a few inches in the fermenter but the yeast isn't dense like true top croppers. Non top croppers that I've used produce krausen that is full of large air bubbles and gunk from the fermentation, not clean pure yeast.

Non top cropping strains are a hassle for me, at least with my set up. Here is why:
1. If I want to repitch the yeast in another batch I need to either create a large starter and save a portion of the starter for the subsequent batch or wash the yeast from a prior batch.
2. I can't dry hop in the primary if I use a non top cropper and plan on washing the yeast because the yeast will not be as healthy due to the dry hop. This would force me to use a secondary, which is a hassle. Top cropping strains give me the yeast I need for subsequent batches at day 2 or 3 of fermentation allowing me to dry hop after retrieving the yeast I need.

Back