Krausen v. Top Crop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fundamental, dumb question. I've been working up Black Sheep yeast from slants and it is a ridiculously strong top cropper. Experimenting with a home-based Yorkshire Square routine of regular rousing, and top-cropping (working this all out by researching has proved really difficult - another story).

At any rate, on another site, an individual said "I pitched the starter yesterday, its got a krausen but is not cropping as yet, I reckon that it will be chucking up yeast in the morning.."

And I was puzzled. How do you know the difference between krausen and a good, thick yeast mass, which you can elect to harvest (or not)? Is there some visual or textural clue that distinguishes these as layers?

white airy foam vs thick sand-colored layer. The "first" krausen will be airy, foamy. After maybe a day or three there will be thick sand-colored "goo", that's the yeast.

white airy foam vs thick sand-colored layer. The "first" krausen will be airy, foamy. After maybe a day or three there will be thick sand-colored "goo", that's the yeast.

Awesome, thanks, Smellyglove. Would you also describe the yeast layer as having a consistency like meringue?

Awesome, thanks, Smellyglove. Would you also describe the yeast layer as having a consistency like meringue?
Isn't merinque hard?

Just look for what I said next time you're using a top cropping yeast, you'll know what I mean. Some times It can look like a fantastic pie.

Isn't merinque hard?

Just look for what I said next time you're using a top cropping yeast, you'll know what I mean. Some times It can look like a fantastic pie.

Thanks Smelly. I'm actually working up a prop. now and the final stage is basically a mini-ferment, so it gives a great picture what you're talking about.

On meringue, no, I'm talking about when you beat the batter, in prep for baking it:

Actually, check on Timothy Taylor's video, around 11:00. I've seen it elsewhere and there was a point during my last prop. where it had exactly that feel. Just confirming.

Back